Author Topic: Craftsman tri-wing rat 43796  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Northwoods

Craftsman tri-wing rat 43796
« on: October 13, 2019, 08:18:17 PM »
I know it is not worth much at all, but I like the little thing.  It is hefty and solid.

But, alas, it will not switch directions by using the tri-wing.  I pulled it apart and did all the usual cleanings and soakings and lubricating, but the thing has me stumped.  I believe it is now absolutely clean.

Once removed from the handle, I can flip the pawl by hand and it will change directions by using the tri-wing, but when I put it back together, it will work only in one direction, and the tri-wing will not move.

However, if I reassemble it and put the plug in a vise, I can get it to change directions, using the tri-wing and a little wiggling.

As I said, It is not a valuable tool, but it has become a challenge.  Can I do anything by taking the mechanism apart; if so, how?  Or is it press assembled and cannot be taken apart?

This fellow had very good luck with the 1/2" version, but I did not.  Any thoughts--other than trading it in or buying a new head?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU-ZH7MhigY 
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline amecks

Re: Craftsman tri-wing rat 43796
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »
I just got a 1/4 version a couple weeks ago.  Opened it and cleaned it.  It works OK  but not as smooth as the one already in my tool box.  Are you sure you have all the dirt/rust out of it?  How about soaking the pawl mechanism in vinegar for a day or so?
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 05:05:50 PM »
It's been in vinegar for some time.  Guess I will have to try to find a swap for it.  Or get a new head on the bay.

BTW, congrats on yours.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 10:01:51 PM »
I may have a rebuild kit for that 1/4" tri-wing ratchet of yours. if you want I can try finding it - I'll sell it to ya cheap!
Ratchet Guru

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 08:17:56 AM »
If you are referring to mine, it was--WAS--a 3/8".  Thanks, though.
I traded it in for a Chinese rat on Saturday.  I'll sell it, still in the plastic stirrup--or whatever it's called.
Don't want to get it dirty.  It might break if I did.
Again, thanks for the effort.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.