Author Topic: Video on screw head history  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Bill Houghton

Video on screw head history
« on: November 20, 2019, 01:03:22 PM »
This is about Robertson vs. Phillips head screws, but there are some nice Perfect Handle screwdriver pictures, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-mDqKtivuI

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Re: Video on screw head history
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 01:41:00 PM »
Very interesting read.I have heard the story before but not with that much  detail. I am Canadian so I'm very familiar with Robertson and in my opinion they are far better than Phillips.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 01:45:05 PM »
Very informative. I know just a little about Robertson screws.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline p_toad

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 06:53:40 PM »
My basic understanding is that unless it actually says "Robertson" on the box of screws, they may be just square head and the square head and Robertson drivers are not the same.   One tapers - the other one not.  They don't play together nicely.    :sad:

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 07:13:02 PM »
They don't play well together.

Likewise Phillips and Pozidrive.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 12:56:59 AM »
I just watched the same video for the second time yesterday. Back in the early 1980's we took a trip to Canada. While there I bought a set of four Robertson screwdrivers just because I had never seen that type of driver before. I have several more now along with 1/4 inch drive bits in that type. I have a bunch of the old style clutch head screwdrivers for GM cars because I use to have lots of older Chevy cars and one old pickup. And I now have several of the modern clutch head drivers. I also have several Reed and Prince drivers. I just learned about JIS screwdrivers. That explains why I use to see many Asian built motorcycles with buggered up screws because they weren't Phillips screws. I have yet to get any Tri Wing drivers. I have a couple for removing special screws in electronic stuff, but I don't know what they are called yet. I have several types of Torx drivers because I worked in wrecking yards for almost 40 years. I have several screwdrivers I have modified for working on very old Briggs and Stratton carbs and a set of ten I recently bought off of Amazon for working on other modern small engine carbs.

EvilDr235.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 07:08:42 PM »
I was at the Habitat Restore yesterday and found another Proto old style clutch head screwdriver. I have a bunch now and don't even own a old GM car anymore, but I just had to have it. I don't think I even have any clutch head screws anymore.

EvilDr235

Offline p_toad

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 05:38:05 PM »
Ha ha ha....   good one EvilDr235.   I picked up that last clutch head i found (no screws here either  - or they're all loose).   Also found another craftsman Reed and Prince.   Apparently i wasn't the only idiot to buy one 40 years ago.   :tongue:

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 05:47:27 PM »
I was at the Habitat Restore yesterday and found another Proto old style clutch head screwdriver. I have a bunch now and don't even own a old GM car anymore, but I just had to have it. I don't think I even have any clutch head screws anymore.

EvilDr235
Clearly, you need to buy an old GM truck, so you have a use for the screwdrivers.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 06:55:52 PM »
I had a 1950 Chevy pickup for about 5 years, but sold it because parts were just getting to costly. My most loved rust free 1956 Chevy I had for 34 years, but when I got sick I sold it and all my extra parts and engines Working in old school wrecking yards for around 40 years I have owned many old Chevy and Nailhead Buick cars. I started buying old cars in 1966 when they were not classics, just old junk. My first car was a 1955 English Ford Angila that cost me $6.00 that I had to pay for in two payments. We were very poor. Had four more of them over the years. I just play around with old small cast iron engines now. A whole new set of tools to buy now.

EvilDr235

Offline whiteoton

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 06:19:32 AM »
It is very interesting information. I am a lawyer by education. However, I always liked to fix broken things myself at home. Therefore, I have my own collection of repair supplies. The most favorite for me is the screws from Australia’s biggest inline fastener store. Btw, screwdrivers are mains and rechargeable. Network ones are not popular now, as they have a limited scope of application. They usually have a non-removable cartridge for the internal hexagon.

Offline Model 12

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2022, 03:01:32 AM »
Robertson is a favorite of mine. Real good with both the Driver and Impact Driver. Unlike the Phillips. I used a lot of those with the project "Sheet Metal - help from thread cutter." Presently it's posted just a few below this one. Like in this picture, all the wood screws are M5 Robertson.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 04:11:44 AM by Model 12 »
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short