Author Topic: strange crew  (Read 892 times)

Offline p_toad

strange crew
« on: December 01, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »
picked these up recently and took a couple of pictures to share.   a close-up of the one marking.

Yeah, one says West Germany and one says Korea.   Like I said, strange crew.   :tongue:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:31:58 PM by p_toad »

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: strange crew
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 09:54:12 PM »
So, the West German one: after World War II and before the Berlin Wall fell in 1989.

Offline Northwoods

Re: strange crew
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 09:55:15 AM »

I assumed that the English wording meant that the wrench (and others we have all seen now and then) suggested that it was made for export, but I found this curious comment on Reddit.  Take it for what it's worth.

From Reddit:
"made in germany is the term we use in germany. it was actually a term coined by the british after the war in the end of the 19th century to sort of "warn" people that a product was german. but since we are so good at making stuff it became a kind of certification mark for quality. "Hergestellt in Deutschland" is the right translation and some products use this .. but usually german products have "made in germany" in english proudly on the label. so if you want to market something to germans (or anyone else) and that product is made in germany, put the english words on it."
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.