Author Topic: A few smalls  (Read 908 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
A few smalls
« on: December 09, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »
Hello, I picked these up yesterday. At top is a 0-1/2" HANDY Micrometer, stamped on barrel; Sold Only at Woolworth Stores Made in U.S.A.. Next is a Millers Falls 0-1" Micrometer.  At bottom a Craftsman Carbide Wheel Glass Cutter.. All of these are items I have never seen before, all Made in USA !!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline p_toad

Re: A few smalls
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 06:22:48 PM »
Too cool.   Wonder when Woolworths got out of the tools trade...   :undecided:

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 07:18:44 PM »
Ceased operations in July , 1997.
 Having risen like a meteor, it faded into a peaceful retirement in North America in the 1990s, before falling like a stone in the UK in 2008. The 800-strong chain went from normal trading to complete oblivion in 41 days. Weeks later F.W. Woolworth GmbH of Germany became insolvent, though its administrators secured its survival and renaissance as a shop chain, rather than the website that now serves the UK.

Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 10:15:01 PM »
Ceased operations in July , 1997.
 Having risen like a meteor, it faded into a peaceful retirement in North America in the 1990s, before falling like a stone in the UK in 2008. The 800-strong chain went from normal trading to complete oblivion in 41 days. Weeks later F.W. Woolworth GmbH of Germany became insolvent, though its administrators secured its survival and renaissance as a shop chain, rather than the website that now serves the UK.
Too bad.  Time was, Woolworths was where you went to get your grandmother her birthday presents - a reliable source of handkerchiefs, linens, and the like (although I was lucky - the dime store in the shopping neighborhood closest to my parents' house had great embroidered handkerchiefs).

Offline Downwindtracker2

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 02:39:57 PM »
I think they are still up in Australia as a grocery chain.