Author Topic: A Big Thank You  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Downwindtracker2

A Big Thank You
« on: December 12, 2019, 11:50:23 AM »
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3533.0  ibgradwell deserves a huge thank you.

I'll tell you why. My dad bought a set of Gray-Bonney wrenches around the time I was born. After the war, consumer goods in Canada were almost impossible to buy. So when my parents mail ordered a set of wrenches, this was a big deal. Mom told be about it. Money would have been very tight, after 5 years of war, my dad was on a 100% disability pension. As a kid, I had always seen them in dad's tool box, pathetic thing that was. We have no idea how rich we are. When dad died, my younger brother got his hand tools, I got the DeWalt. My younger brother's place got broken into and they stole all his tools, as well.

I've been hitting the fleamarket, mostly for wood working tools, high quality user grade. But the odd wrench or socket gets picked up, then I realized I could find wrenches like dad's set. So with this catalog , I have the wrench numbers of the Gray Chrome Vanadium engineers wrenches that dad's set would have had. There was only two sets in it, which made it easier. I've found 2 of the 6.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Re: A Big Thank You
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 12:16:41 PM »
Let us know which ones your missing and maybe some of the members may have what you want.Pictures of some that you now have would help.

Offline Downwindtracker2

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 12:58:21 PM »
Thanks .

From reading the catalogs, what a great resource here, I think they were made in this pattern from the war to '57 , maybe before the war, too. Gray tools were fairly common in Canada, so it should be possible .Gray are Canadian made.  They are double open ends ,engineers wrenches.
 I'm missing
#1723 3/8" x 7/16" ,
#1025 1/2" x 9/32" ,
#1027C 9/16" x 11/16",
#1731A 3/4" x 7/8".

My working tools were Gray and Proto from the '80s, both Canadian made.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 07:45:46 PM »
I'll have a look and if I have any of those.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 02:30:40 PM »
I had a look around yesterday but didn't find any of the sizes your looking for.

Offline Downwindtracker2

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 11:47:31 AM »
Thanks for the look, it gives me a good excuse to hit the fleamarket on Sunday. And the odd pawn shop. Allowance permitting. :smiley: 

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 01:37:02 PM »
Found this while cleaning up a pile of small wrenches!! Sent you a PM.  Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society