Author Topic: Can you sue the U.S.Post Office for lost insured items ?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline EVILDR235

Can you sue the U.S.Post Office for lost insured items ?
« on: December 14, 2019, 03:56:29 PM »
I am getting ready to sell a bunch of Snap-On tools on eBay. It has been about 10 years since I sold anything on there. If I ship the items thru the U.S. Post Office and they misplace them and refuse to pay for their losing them, can I sue them to recover my loss ? I have about 70 items and they weigh about 15 to 20 pounds. I have always packaged sold items very well. Should I take pictures of the items being shipped ? I want to sell the items in one bunch if possible or would it be better to make up smaller groups and sell them that way ? I don't want to make a lot of trips to the Post Office. I have owned some of these tools for over 35 years and never used some of them. Couldn't use them at work due to them growing legs and walking away. Most are more modern tools and a few oldies.

EvilDr235

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Can you sue the U.S.Post Office for lost insured items ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 04:14:44 PM »
Hello, evildr225. I am not 100% sure, but I don't think the USPS will insure against lost or misplaced items. Maybe include insurance on the contents, and add the option for Registered Mail, or Signature Required by recipient (include at buyer's expense). A large Flat Rate Box sounds like the way to go. Another option would be Local Pickup Only, buyer would have to prepay with Paypal. If you are not comfortable with strangers coming to your house, meet at a pre-arranged public place, Home Depot, Public Library, etc. Good luck with your sale, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 04:28:33 PM »
Maybe eBay sale with local pickup only. I may do that. Good idea. Thank's Lou.

EvilDr235

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 05:09:07 PM »
USPS insurance is a good bet.
I sell a bit on the Facebook Marketplace and mostly near home. Our PD has a "Safe Exchange Zone" in front of the police station and I meet buyers there.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 09:56:19 PM »
Hello, Evildr225, you're welcome!! Papaw, I like that Safe Exchange Zone, I will look into our local Marketplace and see if we have a similar option. Regards, Lou

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 02:53:36 PM »
To respond to the original post title, there's a saying among attorneys that anyone can sue anyone for anything; but that the case has to have some legal grounding to be worth doing.  The Post Office is pretty clear that, unless you insure a package, they don't guarantee delivery.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 03:29:20 PM »
Hello, Bill. I agree. Here is a bit of info from the USPS.

Does USPS cover lost packages?
If your delivery were insured, USPS’s claim process would cover the costs of shipping and the package value, up to the amount specified. If you did not have insurance, but a Missing Mail Search determined your delivery is lost or damaged, a claim will cover the cost of shipping.

Keep in mind, in the event of a damaged item, the item has to be turned over to the USPS, and you/customer will be reimbursed for the insured value.There is no keeping the item for a partial coverage to repair it. Regards, Lou

Online international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 04:42:15 PM »
had one go missing out of 2 or 3 thousand,no complaints here about usps

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 05:11:51 PM »
Hello, international3414. No complaints here either, the USPS is my preferred shipping service, just trying to make others aware of what to expect. Regards, Lou

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 06:25:10 PM »
I guess I missed saying I will be insuring the items for the value I sell them for. It will be in a Flat Rate Postal box. We are talking about appox 70 Snap-On tools. I expect they will sell for quite a bit of money. I had read many times and many places over the years about the Post Office, Fedex  and UPS not paying for insurance claims or dragging the claims out forever. One of the biggest complaints I have read about is when a seller sends a package that weighs lets say 20 pounds and when the package gets to the final delivery the buyer has a package with a hole in it and the contents are gone. I guess what I may do is just sell smaller lots of tools and hope for the best. I really want to use eBay to get top dollar. People around here don't seem to have a lot of money and that is probably why I get such good deals buying stuff. Lots of crazy people walking the streets also, so nowhere is really safe.

EvilDr235

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 06:55:20 PM »
If I remember correctly, the only time one of my USPS shipments was "lost" , I think the buyer was lying. Had no recourse but to refund him his money and eat the loss.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Online international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 03:35:59 AM »
dont think tools are a high scam item,usps + ebay + priority= 100.00 dollar insurance......i use 3rd party shipsurance for $500+ items,.,,never had to file claim?