Author Topic: Part of a $6.00 box lot  (Read 2590 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Part of a $6.00 box lot
« on: December 16, 2019, 03:35:11 PM »
The items were in a box lot along with an estwing hammer, stanley awls, brass hinges etc.  From the top, Snap-on ratchet 71-M, Starrett level 98-8 included box and Stanley level 36G dirty but good, all as found.  Auction was cold, but still a lot of guys there but they were more interested in the mechanics tools.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Re: Part of a $6.00 box lot
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 05:43:49 PM »
Nice stuff and a great price,does the Starrett level have a groove in the base?

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 07:44:52 PM »
Yes, the Starrett level has the groove in the base.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 10:20:30 PM »
I'll give you $12 for the two levels and throw in shipping.  You can double your investment and get all the other tools in that box lot for free!

Offline Downwindtracker2

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 11:52:37 AM »
I wouldn't bother with lottery tickets because you have burned all your luck already. Those are precise machinist levels used for setting up machinery.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 03:35:15 PM »
And as luck would have it, I didn't even have that Snap-on ratchet in my collection.

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 05:49:29 PM »
Hello, Coolford. Sounds like you had a great day!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 09:49:36 PM »
Those are precise machinist levels used for setting up machinery.
Is the Stanley 36 series level a machinist level?  Stanley was rather vague in its catalog about the rating for the levels, and I always assumed they were high-grade carpenter's levels, since Stanley offered a series (34 series) of levels similar to the pictured Starrett level.

Offline Downwindtracker2

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 11:26:38 PM »
I think Stanley might have called them that. I don't trust my memory anymore. Starrett might have made one as well. I've never used one. And every time I've seen one at the fleamarket , they have wanted more than I was willing to pay. So I've never got to play with one. I've used machinist levels, but that's different. Mine is Moore&Wright.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 10:23:04 AM »
Stanley made a model 36 and a 36G the G version had the grooved bottom and was referred to as a shaft or shafting level. the 36 models were made from 1898 to 1977. They made a 6,9,12,18 and 24" version. This info is from John Walters great book on Stanley tools ( page 276 if you happen to have a copy ). I still have several of the Starrett shaft levels left over from when I was in working. Starretts version was offered is several different lengths and with varying degrees of accuratecy. I never worked with a Stanley version of a shaft level and Walters does not talk about accuratcey in his book. I know Sttarret made one version that was almost too accurate for some jobs, the increments were in 1 thou graduations and for most machinery installations in sawmills pulp mills and mines this degree of accuratecy was not required. The popular ones we used were 3 or 5 thou per graduation.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 10:56:05 AM »
Those Sttarret ones are highly sought after. Better lock it in a safe. Very expensive both new and used as anything Sttarret. I have a Sttarret 5/8 drive ratchet with a patent date over 100 years old. It uses stamped steel sockets.

EvilDr235

Offline jdjax

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 11:09:41 AM »
Those are precise machinist levels used for setting up machinery.
Is the Stanley 36 series level a machinist level?  Stanley was rather vague in its catalog about the rating for the levels, and I always assumed they were high-grade carpenter's levels, since Stanley offered a series (34 series) of levels similar to the pictured Starrett level.

In the 1958 Stanley catalog the "34v" is listed as a machinist level and is nickel plated. And yes it is similar in shape
as the Starrett "98-8 in the Pic from coolford.
The "36" (smooth bottom) and the "36g" (grooved bottom) is listed as a Japanned iron plumbs and levels.
Recommended for carpenters, plumbers, millwrights, electricians, etc. And the "37g" is the same as the"36g"
but it is nickel plated.

One difference I see other than the shape is the "34" series uses "ground glass" and all the other levels use "proved glass" vials.
I have a 24 inch "36g" and one thing I know is, it is not very practical to use for finish carpentry or plumbing and I have
done both in high end construction.

Offline jdjax

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 11:29:51 AM »
Sorry gibsontool I did not intend to repeat what you wrote. I am slow.
A shaft level or use for machinery leveling would be very practical for the "36g".

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »
One of these days I'll dig out the shaft levels I have and take some pictures. If anybody is interested in a trade or a purchase let me know and that may get me moving a little faster.

Offline Downwindtracker2

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »
So I did see millwright. Millwrights do precision machine set ups. In my day, we used optical levels. They could be read to a thou, but light bends, so they weren't that accurate. Now they use lasers, they don't bend.