Author Topic: Anybody here use a satellite dish to get the internet ?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline EVILDR235

Anybody here use a satellite dish to get the internet ?
« on: December 17, 2019, 02:38:09 PM »
I am wondering who here gets their internet from a satellite dish ? I am thinking about moving out of state. I am tired of all the local politics, high taxes, too many rules, crazy people and crime. We could live very comfortable in a mobile home with a shop and a cargo container or two for storage. I was just wondering how good a dish for internet is ? With internet I don't need tv and my wife has over many DVD movies for us to watch.

EvilDr235

Offline Berryb

Re: Anybody here use a satellite dish to get the internet ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 03:15:23 PM »
Internet over sat. dish is iffy at best. make sure you have a MONEY BACK guarantee. Too many times I have seen people pay for sat. service and when it didn't work,  tech support would work on it a while, blame it on the customer and disappear. The customer is then stuck with a product that wont work and a monthly bill. I worked for the phone co. for years. On the rare occasions we couldn't make it work the customer got their money back.
Also You can't escape Idiotic politics, taxes, or crime. I live in a county in western Montana with less than 4000 people and we have all 3. Maybe on a smaller scale but it's all still there. Thanks
Bruce

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 03:49:50 PM »
I live in the sticks in the Missouri Ozarks and we cannot get DSL over the telephone lines. We are on satellite from Hugh's Net and have been for about 10 years.  We are on the Gen-5 and pay $74.35 monthly.  It is very rare that we don't have service, mostly when it is raining very hard as in a thunderstorm.  So far it has only quit once and the service tech was hear in two days and upgraded everything without any cost to us.  Obviously I don't have a choice, but I don't have any down side to satellite.

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 06:41:23 PM »
nice to hear from actual user,,been considering it for awhile...no phone internet here only cable

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 03:31:16 AM »
My experience with Hughes Net is similar to Coolford’s. There is no viable internet alternative at our summer cabin in the mountains and they offer the option to shut it down during the winter when snow makes the cabin inaccessible. It’s not as fast as our in town fiber optic internet but it sure beats nothing.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline amecks

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 06:07:57 AM »
I had satellite DirecTV in my old house.  I installed it myself, worked great.  The only thing that disturbed it was large snowflakes, like the size of a quarter.  When we moved here we had DirecTV install the dish.  Maybe they did a shoddy installation but we got terrible reception here even though we have a good wide open view of the sky.  So be cautious, check the guarantee, and if there's reception problems I would have them re-aim the dish til its right.

Even though we did not have satellite internet, the principal is the same.  We are currently using cable internet and our TV is by over the air antenna.  We get 24 stations, all in HD and free!  If they raise the price of cable too much (about $20 now) we will consider satellite internet.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 10:30:36 AM »
If we do move it would be to Nevada and the nearest town would be several miles away. The area we are looking at has low property taxes and  no state income tax. I am drawing S.S. as my only income and my wife is working on getting hers. We would be selling our current home and buying another place out right. Goodbye city life, Green ----------------------------

EvilDr235

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 07:03:14 PM »
Had Direct tv for a number of years, pulled the plug on it this year,  took awhile for them to shut me off.  Still get a bill on occasion,  even tho have sent the box back.   Figured I had something better to spend 80 a month on.   Had upgraded the movie channels awhile back,  but never got them,  $15 a month extra.  When I quit, found that I had to have a digital reciever to pick them up.   Put the antennae back up,  get the three networks out of Omaha.   Free, plus in HD each channel now has extras, so am getting 9 channels altogether     Dish reception was OK,  had the guys out twice in 8 years,  but cloudy days, storm fronts, snow and heavy rain blitzed the signal.    Here in tornado country,  watching the weather channel is valuable,  but when the storm comes in,  would loose it .    Also the snow liked to pile  up on the dish,  needed swept off,  usually at 8 am and below zero.  Never had to do that with an antennae.  Get my internet thru a little handheld MIFI, from Verizon,  is often slow but can take it traveling too.    Had Hughes several years back for internet, but same problem with storms, and they would limit data  every month.   So that dish is yard art as well. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 04:07:46 AM »
SS retirement,i didnt know.,.,,.,this might help others.....? my wife applied at 62...not enough credits(didnt work enough),she is now collecting $700.00 per month off my record,but this cant be done till i'm collecting.....