Author Topic: Need help!  (Read 1378 times)

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Need help!
« on: December 21, 2019, 05:22:45 PM »
  I picked these up at the flea market this morning, primarily because the condition was excellent and they were in his dollar box. I didn’t pay too much attention except to note that there were two Bonney's and a Cornwell.

The problem arose when I got home and looked closer at the small Bonney. While it appears to be the same pattern as the larger one, the size markings don’t make sense, to me anyway. Rather than having the typical fractional size markings, the small end is marked 3BA and the larger is marked 2BA. Fractionally this equates to 5/16 and 3/8 in. respectively when I measured them. In addition, stamped on the center panel, on the side opposite Bonney, is what I think is WF102A. The letters and numbers are really tiny. Even with a magnifying glass they are hard to read.

I’m familiar with the WF standing for Wright Field but usually on PLOMB tools and also with a dull cadmium plated finish. As you can see, this one is chrome plated.

I'm sure that i’m missing something, I just don’t know what it is. Any help would be appreciated!

Mike 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:07:35 AM by mikeswrenches »
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline EVILDR235

Re: Need help!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 12:06:38 AM »
I think the small Bonney socket is in a British size. As far as the WF marking, I have several P&C tools marked with the WF stamp. P&C were bought by Plomb in 1941 and I also have several Proto WF marked tools.

EvilDr235

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 05:37:02 AM »
I’m not seeing any pictures. Is it just me?
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 06:11:37 AM »
I’m not seeing any pictures. Is it just me?
-Don

Hi Don, no it’s not you, it’s the goober who posted this and forgot the pictures. My apologies and thanks for pointing it out.

Mike

Offline amecks

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 07:55:38 AM »
I can't explain the WF marking, maybe that's just the catalog designation.  BA sizes are often included in Whitworth wrench sets, so possibly the Bonney wrench came from a Whitworth set, hence the W in WF?
BA is British Association screw threads and is a metric based pattern.  You should find the wrench openings to be BA2 = 0.3238" and BA3 = 0.2825".
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 12:51:17 PM »
I can't explain the WF marking, maybe that's just the catalog designation.  BA sizes are often included in Whitworth wrench sets, so possibly the Bonney wrench came from a Whitworth set, hence the W in WF?
BA is British Association screw threads and is a metric based pattern.  You should find the wrench openings to be BA2 = 0.3238" and BA3 = 0.2825".
Al

Thanks Al, I’ll measure them a little closer and report back.

Mike

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 05:19:42 PM »
  The 2BA end measured .3320 and the 3BA end measured .2860.

Mike