Author Topic: Greetings from the Front Range  (Read 6231 times)

Offline flintman50

Greetings from the Front Range
« on: January 23, 2020, 08:48:11 PM »
Just joined Tool Talk minutes ago...Located just south of Idaho Springs, CO.  Cheers, Brad

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Greetings from the Front Range
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 09:38:54 PM »
Welcome to Tool Talk !

Tell us a bit about yourself and your tool interests.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:05:44 PM »
Welcome from Topeka, a few hundred miles down I-70 and a few thousand feet closer to the center of the earth. 
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 04:13:16 AM »
Hello, And welcome to Tool Talk from Central New York State!!! , Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Yadda

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 07:01:13 AM »
Howdy!  Usually I claim Houston as home, but officially it is Missouri City.  Since you started the conversation with a city that shares a name with a state I felt simpatico and joined you in that endeavor.  We love pictures so feel free to share some tool photos.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 07:40:14 AM »
Welcome from the Missouri Ozarks, the land of free Christmas trees.

Offline flintman50

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 09:21:29 AM »
Thanks all for the friendly welcome.....also new member of MWTCA and RMTC (Rocky Mountain).  Semi-retired - work from cabin part time.  Loved tools since a kid.  Gas pipe-fitter through college years for a public utility in NW Indiana.  Union carpenter as a young man so tools are my friend.  Didn't really think about collecting tools til about two years ago when I started volunteering at a local Restore Habitat for Humanity....when I started I noticed the folks there were putting old tools on the shelves and if they didn't sell in a couple weeks, they move them into the metal recycling bin.  I mean planes, hand saws, hammers, hatchets, braces, etc...unbelievable.  I help price the stuff so I began looking on the internet for info....one thing lead to another so I began "rescuing" old tools form the scrappers.

One thing I enjoy doing is making miniature tools...nothing complex as I am only using hand tools.  Just a hobby and occasionally sell some on eBay.     

Anyhow, looking forward to getting more involved....Best, Brad

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 10:19:37 AM »
Hello and welcome from northern British Columbia.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 06:10:38 PM »
I started volunteering at a local Restore Habitat for Humanity....when I started I noticed the folks there were putting old tools on the shelves and if they didn't sell in a couple weeks, they move them into the metal recycling bin.  I mean planes, hand saws, hammers, hatchets, braces, etc...unbelievable. 

Glad to see you here.   I also volunteer at a Restore here in cold, wet, rainy Ohio and I see the same thing here.   It honestly makes me crazy (SWMBO says crazier) to see all the stuff that gets "recycled"..................grrrrrr

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 08:43:10 PM »
Hi Brad, Welcome from sunny south Florida. I think youl fit right in with this group!

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline flintman50

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 07:36:56 PM »
Small hand plane

Offline flintman50

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 07:42:03 PM »

Variety of mini tools

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 01:54:27 PM »
Very nice!!!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Helen77

• Datastical
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 07:54:08 AM »
Hello from New York and welcome to the forum! Beautiful tools!

Offline Davidjackson1942

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 02:59:09 PM »
I just joined a few minutes ago; have been on Garage Journal for years and it won't let me on today because I tried to change my password!  I hope this site is a little easier to use.
I don't do much mechanic work any more but I was a bit of a motorcycle nut back in the 1960s and 1970s, in fact had my own motorcycle dealership for some years in the '70s then taught motorcycle mechanics in the public school system for a few semesters, then privately had a motorcycle repair shop then had experience as an owner/operator with a tractor.  I have done some auto work, pulled motors in and out of a few vehicles, of course did my maintenance on my tractor, pickup and so on.  I guess my biggest truck project was pulling a 318 and installing a 440 into my '73 pickup.  It was not exactly a drop in, kind of like putting a Ford in a Chevy hole.  Cars and trucks nowadays are over my head, all electronics etc; but I remember the old days and like old tools.
I am planning to move though, and have about 50 years worth of tools and some shop stuff still left which I need to find new homes for.  I have been selling quite a bit and amazed by how much I still have left!
But, I am an inveterate collector and have become fixated on J.H. Williams Duohex-Box wrenches of the 1930s to very early 1950s; kind of fun learning about all of the old tool makers though, not just JHW.