Author Topic: Old Cornwell ratchets.  (Read 1680 times)

Offline wvginseng

Old Cornwell ratchets.
« on: January 29, 2020, 09:59:16 AM »
I bought an old Cornwell 3/4 drive ratchet a long time ago and then came across another one at a yardsale for $5, I know lucky right. The two ratchets are different and I researched it and found some information on alloy artifacts but I did not find that interesting drive adapter for the 7/8 drive ratchet. That adapter reduces it to 3/4 and can be popped out and put in the other side. The other ratchet simply pushes through. On alloy artifacts it just shows the 7/8 drive ratchet without a plug or adapter. I wonder is there a 7/8 drive plug for this ratchet? Both ratchets look identical except for the drive hole.

Offline bill300d

Re: Old Cornwell ratchets.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 04:15:05 PM »
Yes there was a 7/8" x 3/4" drive plug. There also were socket adapters to accomplish the same thing as long as you have a plug that fits the ratchet
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline wvginseng

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 07:33:25 PM »
I just wondered if Cornwell made 7/8 drive sockets for this ratchet or was it meant to always have that adapter for 3/4 drive sockets. Both ratchets are the same length so I am thinking they both were meant to use same range of sockets.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 12:24:00 AM »
The 3/4 drive ratchet only came with a 3/4x3/4 plug
The 7/8 drive ratchet you could order 4 different drive plugs for 7/8x5/8 or 3/4 or 7/8 or 1"
You can look here for more info     
https://archive.org/details/CornwellCatalog21A1941/mode/2up
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline wvginseng

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 08:46:03 AM »
Thank you for the reply. Very interesting.