Author Topic: What is this wrench used for?  (Read 4362 times)

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: What is this wrench used for?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 01:42:54 PM »
I hate to  throw another wrench in the gears, but I think may be a Door Closer Adjustment Wrench. I have been looking around at work for an older one that looks similar, but no luck. I have posted a pic from an ebay listing. The wrench on the right is the one I am thinking of, and is stamped LCN, a manufacturer of door closers that has been around for a long time. The square hole is for the shaft that the arm connects to. (you need to rotate the shaft 90° to put tension on the arm, before you set the arm). The spanner end is for adjusting mainspring tension. The older, heavy duty closers had a flat nut, ( for adjusting mainspring tension) that was notched to receive the spanner.. There are closer arms that use hex and square head set screws, to hold the arm in place, or to adjust the arm. The wrenches were typically unmarked, and often lost, after the installation, but I will keep looking. Regards, Lou
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:47:39 PM by lptools »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline amecks

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 05:26:05 PM »
I was searching for certain wrench today and found this exact same wrench in my wrench box.  I thought it looked familiar when I saw it posted here.  Still don't know for sure what it is.
The hook spanner part looks like it could fit a motorcycle shock absorber, but the other features don't typically relate to m'cycles.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Buicktruckguy

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 09:12:33 PM »
Al,
You make me smile to know that I am not the only person stumped.
Larry

Offline amecks

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 05:21:47 PM »
So when I was looking for a wrench with two round pins today, I gathered all of these into one place.  One or more of these has got to be a perfect fit for my motorcycle shocks adjusters.  Thought I would take a photo and post it.  The original posted wrench type is dead center...
Al
Jordan, NY

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 06:32:55 PM »
Hello, Al. Nice group of wrenches. The one you have at bottom right looks a lot like the LCN Closer wrench that I posted. Are some of those welding tank wrenches? Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Buicktruckguy

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 06:36:52 PM »
Al,
Nice collection of spanner wrenches plus a few others.

Offline amecks

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 08:43:30 PM »
Hi Lou, Yes I noticed that the wrench was very similar to yours.  And I have NO idea what ANY of these wrenches fit (well, except now I do know one is a door closer wrench!).  I have been collecting them for years.  I will be going thru them soon to select the best option for turning the adjuster on Girling shock absorbers on my Brit bikes.

Only two wrenches are not stamped steel.  The wrench at top right and the broken one in the middle of the lower row (too bad - that looked like a very interesting wrench).
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline geneg

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 05:39:29 AM »
The center 3 or 4 in the top row look like those that came with door locksets. Older Schlage & Best.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 12:48:53 AM »
A couple of FARMALL / INTERNATIONAL tractor water pumps had hook spanner wrenches to tighten the packing nut.  Part numbers to look for are 15226 D ( For F20, F30 ) 11858DA ( for some models of crawler tractor) .  part #11892D was for water pump on a couple models of International truck from early 1930s.  There is also a G3174 hook spanner for packing gland nut on several early 20th Century International  "hit & miss" horizontal engines.

Offline humber2

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2020, 06:30:23 AM »
So when I was looking for a wrench with two round pins today, I gathered all of these into one place.  One or more of these has got to be a perfect fit for my motorcycle shocks adjusters.  Thought I would take a photo and post it.  The original posted wrench type is dead center...

4th and 5th on bottom row fit English bicycles. Easy to check for Whitworth nut sizes if neither a 1/2 or 9/16 AF nut doesn't fit right.