Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 172845 times)

Offline lptools

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #1110 on: February 11, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »
Hello, Coolford. Nice job on the box!!! Regards, lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #1111 on: February 15, 2020, 07:54:09 PM »
That box is indeed a work of art. Excellent job Coolford
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #1112 on: March 28, 2020, 02:03:24 PM »
Well, as there are no auctions and I have to stay home I'm spending a lot of time in  the shop.  Some might remember that I bought about 900 pounds of planes and parts two years ago.  Out of that mess I assembled 27 planes for my collection.  The Stanley planes being correct according to the big book.  The picture shows three No.4 and three No.5 Stanley planes that I'm bringing back to life.  of the six, three are type 11's and three are type 15's.  Now the purists will not agree with what I'm doing, but these are to be users and not collected.  I start by cleaning the sides and bottoms with a course wire wheel and finishing with a fine.  Then I use blue tape on those surfaces and take them to my blast cabinet and remove all the original paint and rust.  Yes, they were all rusty.  In the picture I have repainted them with three coats of black Rustoleum all in one.  I'm now in the process of trying to find all the correct parts for each plane, it is not an easy process. By the way, if anyone needs a part for a plane in their collection I might have it.

Offline lptools

« Reply #1113 on: March 28, 2020, 02:09:13 PM »
Hello coolford. Nice job on bringing those back to life!! Regards, Lou

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #1114 on: March 28, 2020, 05:12:34 PM »
Hello from up in Canada, I have quite a few Stanley planes (about 400 at last count) along with a couple of small boxes of parts. I don't have any spare wooden knobs or totes,I do have 3 or 4 original aluminum totes made by Stanley if that's what you need. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll have a look in my parts boxes. I recently picked up a early number 7 bedrock type 4 in real good condition but it's missing the short style front knob. I could rob one of my standard style short knob planes but I'd rather find one if I can. Maybe you have what I need and we could work a deal. Let me know. Thanks Jim.

Offline lptools

« Reply #1115 on: March 28, 2020, 06:11:07 PM »
Hello, Jim. Only 400?  :grin:

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #1116 on: March 30, 2020, 05:30:34 AM »
Jim--------I looked through my box of knobs and have a short style knob that fits the brass top, it is just short of two inches high.  I will put a photo on later today.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #1117 on: March 30, 2020, 01:17:48 PM »
Jim---Here is a picture, will send a PM to tell you the story.