Author Topic: H. H. Mayhew brest drill  (Read 1476 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
H. H. Mayhew brest drill
« on: April 03, 2020, 03:22:34 PM »
Picked this one up at an auction a couple of months ago in poor condition.  I had never seen one like it and could not read the maker mark on it.  The color is close to original, but I'm not sure if the shaft was plated or painted as the patina (rust) was heavy and there was no sign of either.  This is the first Mayhew drill I have come across, although I am aware they made some auger bits also.  The unusual thing about it is the shaft is hollow and there is no sign of a provision for a side handle and it is single speed. Note also the handle shaft is adjustable.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 03:24:42 PM by coolford »

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: H. H. Mayhew brest drill
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 06:26:54 PM »
Is that a two-jaw chuck, like a brace?  I'm surprised there aren't more two-jaw chucks on the breast drills out there in the wild.  The torque a breast drill can mount will overwhelm most hand-tightened three-jaw chucks.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 09:58:35 PM »
Bill, I probably have more with 2 jaw chucks than the 3 jaw ones. Not sure why. But you’re right t...they are hard to tighten.  I have several that have a lock you can engage when you need to tighten or loosen them

For some reason I am reminded that there are some of the Millers Falls breast drills that have a two jaw Leland chuck that will take regular auger bits, morse taper, and straight shank bits. They also used it on some of the bit braces.

Coolford, that is a beefy looking drill! I've never seen or even heard of a Mayhew. The crank handle looks like one that is also used on some of McClellan's early corner braces.

Mike

Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 07:51:39 AM »
The chuck is two jaw, like braces.  For years I collected breast drills and have about 40 different ones, but this is the first Mayhew I have ever seen.  I bought it not knowing what it was because the design was different than those in my collection.

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 03:59:23 PM »
Hello, coolford. That is a great looking drill!! What are the dimensions? Thanks, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 05:49:14 PM »
Interesting; I have exactly one breast drill with a two-jaw chuck, a late-production Stanley, and three or so with three-jaw chucks.  I wonder why the frequency varies from place to place?

I've got a decent herd of twist bits with tapered square shanks, so I'm ready to bore steel with a breast drill next time I run out of things to do...