Author Topic: Marketplace Ad  (Read 1470 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Marketplace Ad
« on: April 16, 2020, 06:39:56 AM »
Hello, Please read carefully!! This is an ad for 2 Blue Point Tool Carts..Copied and pasted, you can't make this stuff up!!

So I have 2 carts. All blue point. The bigger one in the middle I would like $300 OBO. It has the slide open top. With some drawers. That one is practically brand new. The small cart I would like $100 OBO. Shoot me and offer? NO TOOLS INCLUDED. JUST CARTS. Less
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Marketplace Ad
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 11:53:38 AM »
If you have two items, how can one of them be in the middle?  Unless the picture was of two carts and a stuffed moose off to one side of the two carts, with one of them in the middle of the picture.

I try to recognize that a lot of folks posting this stuff somehow inherited the items - belonged to a family member, found when they moved into a house, whatever - and have absolutely NO knowledge of the subject; so they do the best they can.  But "in the middle" when speaking of two items demonstrates a failure to pay attention to Sesame Street as a child.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 01:23:41 PM »
If I ever tell someone to "Shoot me and offer," I sure hope they don't.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 02:29:22 PM »
Hello, Bill. I missed the part about the middle!! Northwoods , you caught the "Shoot me and offer?" , not a very tough negotiator. Regards, Lou

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 03:04:13 PM »
If I ever tell someone to "Shoot me and offer," I sure hope they don't.
I'm reminded of the old English teacher joke about the giant panda going into the diner and ordering a big meal.  After finishing it, the panda pulls out a gun, shoots the place up, and walks out.  The police track him down right away - there's only one giant panda living in town.  When the police arrest him, they ask, "What was going on in your head?  Was the food that bad?"

"No," he says, "but I'm a panda, and everyone knows that a panda eats, shoots, and leaves."

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 03:36:41 PM »
Hello, Bill. Please see attached photo.The book is from my personal collection.Regards, Lou

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 03:42:36 PM »
Hello, All.   "So I have 2 carts. All blue point". Shouldn't that have read "Both blue point" ? Maybe there were more  than 2 at one point in time?? Regards, Lou

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 04:40:09 PM »
Hello, Bill. Please see attached photo.The book is from my personal collection.Regards, Lou
Yes, I knew about that book.  A worthy read.

Hello, All.   "So I have 2 carts. All blue point". Shouldn't that have read "Both blue point" ? Maybe there were more  than 2 at one point in time?? Regards, Lou
Well, only if you paid attention in English class.  I was taught, as you probably were, that "all" applies only to groups of three or more, since "both" is sitting right there, tail wagging like an eager puppy, waiting to be used when you're talking about just two items.  It's like the distinction between "fewer" (you can count the items: "fewer Blue Point tool carts") and "less" (you can't count the items, at least not unless you're seriously obsessive, or the item description is of a category: "less rice in the bag").  It's ok to say "fewer grains of sand in my toes," because you're referring to the individual grains, each of which is irritating the heck out of you; but "fewer sand on the beach" is just not right.  Lots of people confuse the two these days.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:35:31 PM by Bill Houghton »

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 05:50:28 PM »
Hello, Bill. I try to remember the use of "fewer" and "less", by referencing to tools. "I can remember when I had fewer than 500 hand planes". Now that I have exceeded that number, I have a lot less space.  :cheesy:

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 09:24:28 PM »
Hello, Bill. I try to remember the use of "fewer" and "less", by referencing to tools. "I can remember when I had fewer than 500 hand planes". Now that I have exceeded that number, I have a lot less space.  :cheesy:

Well played!
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 10:15:33 PM »
Well, all of me is enjoying the heck out of this thread.   Thanks to all of you.   :tongue:

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 08:08:13 AM »
Hello, I hope that I wasn't too harsh on the ad poster. The point I am trying to make is the lack of time/editing/, and care ,used to place an ad. This looked like a case of a guy walking up to the carts, taking a couple photos with a phone, and using the microphone for the text. Of course there are going to be mis-understood / misspelled words !!! I sell quite a bit on Craigslist. A great picture ( with an accurate description ) usually works for me!! Regards, Lou