Author Topic: Tumbler Test / Before & After  (Read 749 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Tumbler Test / Before & After
« on: April 16, 2020, 04:06:44 PM »
Hello, I have been going through a box of rusty machinist's collets, jigs, and fixtures. Here are some before and after photos. Regards, Lou
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:13:25 PM by lptools »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Northwoods

Re: Tumbler Test / Before & After
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 09:16:25 PM »
And you used------kitty litter?
Look real nice.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 06:41:13 AM »
I don't have a large tumbler, nit a burr king vibratory. I have some different type of ceramic stones. It also uses a little soap and water.
Do you use a solution with yours?I have 2 small rock tumblers for small stuff, I just use sand blasting sand in them. Not much in the way of a tool fits in them, some car parts and screws do. Have to run them dry or they run dry anyway. Sand dust is not good for your lungs so I don't use them much.

A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 07:44:42 AM »
Hello, oldgoaly. I use the ceramic media in an 18 lb. tumbler, with a 50/50 mix of water and Simple Green ( 8 ounces of each). This has been the most successful for rust removal, and deep cleaning. The stones do get caught in things like the collets, but the stones are easily removed. I didn't like the sand either because of the dust, and unless the tools are de-greased before going in, the sand/grease combo sticks to the tools like glue!! Once removed from the tumbler, the tools are immediately rinsed, wiped dry, and into the WD-40 pan!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society