Author Topic: Hammer Hatchet Nippers Nail Puller, all in one?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Trader3569

Hammer Hatchet Nippers Nail Puller, all in one?
« on: June 28, 2020, 09:53:27 AM »
Another what is it for the experts.  Overall length 12", head is about 5 1/2", cutting edge 2 1/4",    Has some writing.  What I can read is TOOL ???( possibly STEEL) FORGED on the reverse side ?????Man.   I actually ended up with two these at the auction but neither one is readable.  Any idea what they are called, who made them etc.   Thanks and have a great day.  Terry

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
Re: Hammer Hatchet Nippers Nail Puller, all in one?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 10:23:50 AM »
I think it's a tool for closing and opening wood crates. Don't know the maker
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline Trader3569

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 10:35:30 AM »
Very possible, there were a lot of crate tools at the auction. 

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 11:23:42 AM »
Hello, I did a quick look at a few similar tools, most of the Patent info refers to them as Combination Tools. Crating Tool sounds good , too. The pincer like jaws have me thinking small staples, say, for light duty fencing, or chicken coop wire. Nice find, by the way!!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Yadda

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:40:13 AM »
Crating tool? Perhaps, but I believe it is a fencing tool.  Bob (Plyerman) has more than a few of these and similar. There are numerous patented configurations.   I have a similar more modern version.  I'll poke around and get back to you.  In the meantime, Maybe Bob will happen by on his periodic check ins and provide more info.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Yadda

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 01:24:52 PM »
I believe this is the same tool.  Morris Ranchman Fencing tool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Morris-Ranchman-Multifunction-12-Fencing-Pliers/114276409445?hash=item1a9b67a065:g:RfQAAOSwjW5e7BZT

Worthpoint also had a nice reference.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ranchman-combination-barbed-wire-tool-495218272

There are dozens if not hundreds of variations of fencing  pliers.  The similar version I have is Red Viking. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:35:50 PM by Yadda »

Offline Berryb

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 04:58:02 PM »
I'd say it is a box tool. seems a little small for a fencing tool. Back when everything was shipped in wooden crates, before cardboard, every store and warehouse had several layin' around. They could be used to pry open crates, pull nails, brads and staples, or put them back, twist and untwist wire, you name it. Thanks
Bruce

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 07:26:28 PM »
I'm with yadda on this one. Most crating tools ( at least that I have seen) have no moving parts. Hatchet, hammer head, nail claw, pretty basic, meant to do significant damage to the crate to get it open. :grin:. I found a Patent "Combination Tool" by a J R Morris. Patent Number 607448 July 19 1898.  Trader3569, yours looks like it has the leather punch still attached to the handle. If you look at the second photo you will see that this tool was marketed toward the Farmer, or, Ranchman, most likely for fencing, harness work, etc.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 07:43:35 PM »
Now this is funny: I didn't look at the links yadda posted until after I looked at about 50 patent drawings of combination tools to find the patent info :rolleyes:

Offline Yadda

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 12:10:31 AM »
Now this is funny: I didn't look at the links yadda posted until after I looked at about 50 patent drawings of combination tools to find the patent info :rolleyes:

Been there before.