Author Topic: 1930's Burke drill press  (Read 682 times)

Offline EVILDR235

1930's Burke drill press
« on: July 26, 2020, 05:56:09 PM »
This is a 1930's vintage Burke drill press I got about 10 years ago. It is marked THE BURKE MACH TOOL on one side and CONNEAUT O. U.S.A. 25 on the other side. It used electric motor with a leather flat belt to power it.  The table has 5 drilled and tapped holes in it. Maybe factory. The chuck appears original, but no key and the rear lower pulley is missing. The chuck looks like one on another drill press on the OWWM website. Drill press is cast iron and steel. One handle to raise and lower the spindle, but has 3 more holes for more handles if needed. Nothing seems worn out. The lower pulley will have to be made on a lathe if a replacement can't be found. Worse case, I will convert it to a V belt, but will keep all the flat built pulleys for it's future owner as everything will have a future owner. Maybe I will power it with a old cast iron gas engine.

EvilDr235

Online Bill Houghton

Re: 1930's Burke drill press
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 09:31:01 PM »
As you probably know, the pulley configuration was for use with a lineshaft.  Time was, fractional HP motors were right expensive, and you might have one powering all the machines in the shop through a junior version of an industrial lineshaft.