Author Topic: Stanley No. 3's  (Read 1191 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Stanley No. 3's
« on: August 01, 2020, 05:39:02 PM »
Here are the seven Stanley No. 3's and an oddball that I recently put back together.  Four are types I didn't have and they are correct to type so I will keep them.  The other three Stanley's have some minor problems and thus are just users which I will sell or give away.  The oddball looks just like a Stanley, but is not.  This finishes the Stanley's in the 900 pounds of planes and parts I bought a few years ago, and I don't plan to assemble anymore planes out of the lot.  Still have a couple of hundred pounds of bodies and parts, but most good stuff is gone.  But here and there are some good items and thus I will check if someone needs something.  For example there are three old Stanley frogs that date to 1900 but no planes to go with them.

Offline Mike H

Re: Stanley No. 3's
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 06:45:54 AM »
Coolford
If in that lot you have short rods (4-3/4") for a Type 4
Stanley No. 45 (pre depth adjustment), I would be interested in same.
Also cutters for that 45; the cutters for pre-depth adjustment had no nicks in side
When I got back to my shop with the plane and started clean-up that is how
I realized that I had a bit of a "Frankenplane" situation. The cutters that came with the 45
(except for one that was in the plane) had the nicks. Think that was only the 2nd 45
I had seen in the wild. Got  caught up in making the purchase and got away from cool
and deliberate evaluation.

I have 2 No. 3s
One has a big number 16 stamped in side
Bench or station in a woodworking class at school I guess
I like both of them; been able to get thin shavings with both planes
even with my primitive restore and sharpening skills.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Re: Stanley No. 3's
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 03:43:24 PM »
Sorry, MikeH none of my parts are for a Stanley #45.  Everything is for flat bottom bench planes. I have a #45, so I know what you are needing.

I only started collecting types after I bought my 900 lb. mess of parts.  Two of the #3's in the lot shown are war production with the thick walls and with the composition adjusting knob.  One of them has a nonadjustable frog and the other has an adjustable one.