Author Topic: Proto 1/2" Drive  (Read 1097 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Proto 1/2" Drive
« on: August 11, 2020, 05:23:45 PM »
I found these at the flea on Sunday. Probably paid too much, probably could have got them for less if I had noticed that the one at top was assembled incorrectly!! I took apart the worst looking one, and am in the process of cleaning it up!! Regards, Lou

I have added the "After" photos to this post, all parts cleaned in the tumbler!!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:39:30 AM by lptools »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline d42jeep

Re: Proto 1/2" Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 11:07:06 PM »
I used a couple of the Protos as parts donors to repair some Plomb pebble ratchets
-Don
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:09:02 PM by d42jeep »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 01:12:23 PM »
I used a couple of the Protos as parts donors to repair some Plomb pebble ratchets
-Don

Good move.  Parts is parts.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 02:17:47 AM »
I have been a Plomb / P&C / Proto ratchet fan since the late 1960's. Rebuild kits are available, but sometimes costly. I have just about every clone of the Proto pear head ratchet. Some include Armstrong, OTC, Urrea and others. I have found it best to oil this style of ratchet because of the very soft springs they use. If use you grease in can harden over time and will keep the pawls from fully engaging the drive wheel and that will cause the tips of the drive wheel to wear away. I just added number 74 and 75 to my Proto part of my ratchet collection. They are both in 1/4 inch drive for Hi-Lok aircraft fasteners. I have a Proto 3/8 drive repair kit where the replacement side cover has the Proto information stamped on both sides with two different styles of fonts. I have about a dozen Plomb pear head ratchets. I believe this pear head style ratchet is the most copied design out there. As far as the Proto pear head ratchets, one could collect them forever and never get all the slightly different ones they have came out with over the years. I have found that the P&C pear head Plomb / Proto style ratchets are the hardest to find.

EvilDr235
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 06:15:05 PM by EVILDR235 »