Author Topic: Recognize this box?  (Read 3997 times)

Offline fliffy42

• Contributor
  • Leominster Massachusetts
Recognize this box?
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:04:15 AM »
anyone recognize this box? measures about 14" x 8 1/2" x 8 1/2". No handle just 4 holes on bottom (for mounting). No markings on box itself but latch is marked... EAGLE LOCK COMPANY TERRYVILLE CONN USA.
Looking for Bluepoint X & XD Series Box Wrenches

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
Re: Recognize this box?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:22:07 AM »
MORNIN CLIFF, LOOKS LIKE A BOX THAT BOLTED TO THE FROMT FENDER OF AN OLD TOURING CAR  BOB W.
PM SENT
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 06:46:43 AM »
Eagle lock company was a supplier for at least lock hardware to the manuf of trunks whom supplied Chrysler Corp during at least the late 20s early 30s.
Company was established in 1833 and went out in 1954 according to data I have read online but again I have not verified or attempted to verify that.
Contrary to what everyone thinks automobile trunks were not always an add on or dealer accesory, my car for instance was shipped and could not have been otherwise purchased without the trunk on the rear. I belive that some models of Victory sixes were the same but have not verified that so at this point that is only a hunch. My particular model had an almost integreated trunk platform and not the conventional trunk and rack and again was shipped directly in that fashion.
Do you have a key for it. ( it is a simple skeleton key ) there is a code for the keys but it is nearly unneccesary since the inards of the locks are of such a simple design that the locks can be made to work with nearly any key although of course it would be best if the codes matched.
As Bob mentioned this particular box would have been mounted to an early car but it would have prob been the runningboard, not the front fender because of its shape, considering the latches and material along with plating I would date it early 20s late teens.
This particular box would have been most likely an accesory box, maybe for chains, that would be my guess, possibly for tools but since most early autos already had a seperate tool compartment I would say chains or spare parts.
I am assuming that is a wood bottom? It would have been a Plywood, again some might argue that plywood was not available this early but I can vouch that it was and was used extensively in the auto market. You may notice small brads around its base and they prob. would have had an almost round pin type head.
Also the company logo ( now that I look at it again ) type size suggests almost certaintely pre 1925.
I searched for quite some time for an original key for the latches of my own trunk. Within the past couple of years a fellow was rodding one of the few remaining Victorias and I made out like a bandit, I received parts ( such as the keys to this trunk ) that I would NEVER have ever been able to find otherwise since we share the same body.
The car now looks like everyone elses and its a shame that it had to come down to him destroying a fine piece of history just to supply me with parts but I didnt ask for it, on the otherhand I will ask you to let me know if you would like to ever sell the box.
Thanks at least for posting that pict, it was a real treat to see
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:14:27 AM by 1930 »
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »
Eagle lock company was a supplier for at least lock hardware to the manuf of trunks whom supplied Chrysler Corp during at least the late 20s early 30s.
Company was established in 1833 and went out in 1954 according to data I have read online but again I have not verified or attempted to verify that.
Contrary to what everyone thinks automobile trunks were not always an add on or dealer accesory, my car for instance was shipped and could not have been otherwise purchased without the trunk on the rear. I belive that some models of Victory sixes were the same but have not verified that so at this point that is only a hunch. My particular model had an almost integreated trunk platform and not the conventional trunk and rack and again was shipped directly in that fashion.
Do you have a key for it. ( it is a simple skeleton key ) there is a code for the keys but it is nearly unneccesary since the inards of the locks are of such a simple design that the locks can be made to work with nearly any key although of course it would be best if the codes matched.
As Bob mentioned this particular box would have been mounted to an early car but it would have prob been the runningboard, not the front fender because of its shape, considering the latches and material along with plating I would date it early 20s late teens.
This particular box would have been most likely an accesory box, maybe for chains, that would be my guess, possibly for tools but since most early autos already had a seperate tool compartment I would say chains or spare parts.
I am assuming that is a wood bottom? It would have been a Plywood, again some might argue that plywood was not available this early but I can vouch that it was and was used extensively in the auto market. You may notice small brads around its base and they prob. would have had an almost round pin type head.
Also the company logo ( now that I look at it again ) type size suggests almost certaintely pre 1925.
I searched for quite some time for an original key for the latches of my own trunk. Within the past couple of years a fellow was rodding one of the few remaining Victorias and I made out like a bandit, I received parts ( such as the keys to this trunk ) that I would NEVER have ever been able to find otherwise since we share the same body.
The car now looks like everyone elses and its a shame that it had to come down to him destroying a fine piece of history just to supply me with parts but I didnt ask for it, on the otherhand I will ask you to let me know if you would like to ever sell the box.
Thanks at least for posting that pict, it was a real treat to see

Ausome you know that, thanks for the info. I totally learn something new on here every day.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 07:07:01 PM »
Somebody said it once before but I will say it again, your a good boy nolatoolguy and growing its a decent man. Keep clean, you will have a happier life
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline fliffy42

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »
Somebody said it once before but I will say it again, your a good boy nolatoolguy and growing its a decent man. Keep clean, you will have a happier life

I agree!!!

Offline fliffy42

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 04:46:18 PM »
Thanks for the info 1930 and Pm coming your way