Author Topic: My third hay trolley  (Read 1128 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
My third hay trolley
« on: November 10, 2020, 02:52:22 PM »
I have decided I like hay trolleys and now have three.  This past weekend I was at my neighbors (he is 96 years old) and I was talking about trolleys.  He looks at me and a light goes off in his eyes.  Then he tells me he took a trolley down in an old barn and put it in his barn (on the floor) about 50 years ago.  We go in the barn, trails only, no open areas and he guides me to an area near the back and points---under there somewhere!  I go digging and found this Imperial Unloader under a bunch of other crap.  It is a wood beam trolley and runs on a wood beam with metal covering the top of the beam.  The surprising thing is that all the wheels and pulleys turn,  He then gave it to me and here it is.

Offline oldgoaly

Re: My third hay trolley
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 03:22:44 PM »
3 of anything is a collection!
We have one in the 3rd floor of the barn, somebody wanted to give 25$ for it. I said that isn't worth my time to go get it! It 20+ feet in the air of the 3rd floor, not dragging a long ladder up 2 flights of stairs for 25$. That was 30 years ago!
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 03:46:50 PM »
Well, its worth much more than $25.00 now, it all depends on the maker.  Common ones that are complete and not broken in any way go for $100.00 plus.  The rare ones go for as much as $1000.00 or more.  Might pay to climb up to see what it is and then check e-bay or hay trolley heaven.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 06:02:56 PM »
Nice neighbor!   
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 06:32:50 AM »
Are you watching Donnelly's auction that ends this weekend? Saturday's cataloged sale lots 350, 351, 352 & 353 are salesman sample hay carriers the bids are up to $900 for lot 350 & $1100 each for the rest of them. It will be interesting to see what they hammer for. You can just go to the auction listing and see what the current winning bid is for any lot.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 03:49:30 PM »
Here is the above hay trolley restored, not as easy as cleaning a wrench.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 04:08:46 PM »
Fantastic job on the restoration!! I really like the green!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
Nice!!!!Wonder if I got ours out of the barn and put it in the  pedal & treadle shed? That might look cool! 
How about a egg collector basket and rails worth anything?   1950's era. It has crossed my mind to use that in the foundry/blacksmith shed.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 07:14:29 AM »
I like that green myself, it is Hunter dark green.

Don't know anything about egg baskets, but track for hay trolleys goes for around $5.00 a foot.  But shipping it is a problem.  Also, the people that buy track want the proper track for the trolley, and there are many types of track.  Even more of a problem, for track buyers is that trolleys will run on other tracks than the proper one so your trolley may not be running on the correct track.  But I would take it down and put it in your blacksmith shop.