Author Topic: Cutting little voxels out of plywood  (Read 1619 times)

Offline LadyConstance

• wywóz gruzu Warszawa
Cutting little voxels out of plywood
« on: November 12, 2020, 05:13:19 AM »
Hello!

I am very new to woodworking. A newbie in arts in general but with pandemic and being short on cash while the Christmas is incoming I decided to create the gifts for family with my own hand. I looked into voxel art i.e. recreating chosen pictures with small triangles. However, I do not want to do that digitally by for real. I am going to draw or imprint the pattern on a plywood and then cut the pieces by hand, arrange, glue in and paint. The cutting part is what brings me to you today. Can I use a wallpaper knife (it is a thin knife you use to cut wallpapers with) or is there something better?

Offline Yadda

Re: Cutting little voxels out of plywood
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 06:48:37 AM »
you can use the knife to mark the edges, but in my opinion you will find it rough going to cut most plywood with a knife.   You could purchase thin wood veneer and cut it with a knife, but I don't believe it would give you the depth you may be seeking with plywood.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 07:57:33 AM »
Hi Lady,

I’m with Yadda on this one.  Using a knife is possible assuming your material (plywood) is very thin.  Anything more than 3/16” thick is probably too thick.  I tried to replicate what you’re proposing with 3/16” thick birch veneered plywood.  Just to make a couple cuts using a utility knife outfitted with a new blade was tedious.  For one or two cuts, it will work, but an entire picture will take some significant time and effort to create with a knife.  Anyway, here’s what I did: 

Using a straight edge (the machinists square) I scored the plywood making 8-10 passes.  I flipped the workpiece over and repeated the process.  With the plywood scored on both sides, I broke the workpiece over a cylindrical object (the punch). I didn’t get a nice edge so I cleaned them up with a SHARP block plane.  Then I made an angled cut (trying to replicate a triangle) going through the same process.  Like I said, it’s tedious. Just to make those two cuts and clean them up took about 10 or so minutes.  If you’re going to proceed, I’d look for plywood that’s 1/8” thick or less.  Is balsa wood a possibility?

Your tools need to be sharp and you’ll need to adequately secure the workpiece once it gets too small to hold and work by hand.  That knife is sharp and you’ll be applying force trying to cut through the plywood.  If you slip or go out of the score line, the hand holding the workpiece could end up with a nasty cut!!  While I went through the process of trying what you’re proposing, after doing so,, I’d recommend looking for an alternative method to cut the plywood, or use a different, easier to cut material like balsa wood.

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:59:31 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 08:32:41 AM »
Lady,

Like I was saying, maybe balsa wood might be a better material.  I used a 3/32” thick piece of balsa wood and had no trouble cutting through it with a sharp utility knife.  Using a straight edge, I scored the workpiece on one side only making one pass. I flipped the workpiece over, lined up the straight edge and made another pass which cut the balsa wood through and through. Cutting triangles was simply a matter of using a smaller straight edge and making one firm pass through the workpiece.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 04:00:59 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline papadan

• Just an old wrench tugger
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 02:59:00 PM »
Lady C, welcome to the forums. I fully understand the lack of budget for doing projects, but there are times when you need to spend a little to make your projects a reality. Stop by any Home Depot or Lowes, or even Menards. Pick up a cheap coping saw. About $9 and will allow you to cut any shapes in any material you want.

VWs to D10s, I've fixed em.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline amecks

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 07:20:43 PM »
Hi.  I'm guessing a voxel is like a pixel but in 3D?  What thickness plywood are you planning to use?  X-acto makes many knives and saws for fine cutting and they can be purchased at reasonable prices. 
Al
Jordan, NY