Author Topic: Ebay Rant  (Read 2848 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Re: Ebay Rant
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 08:03:47 AM »
E-bay really doesn't need the people that sell used stuff as much anymore, as their amount of new stuff is over 75%.  I have decided that e-bay and I are through, as I will not give them my SS number.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 10:18:34 AM »
They call it "Fee bay" for a reason. Giving my SS no. to any of these people is a non starter for me too.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 06:42:51 PM »
If you already have an account, or, payment method with ebay, chances are they already know your social, I believe it was just for verification. I respect anyone's decision to stay or go with ebay. I have dug a deep hole with all of the tools that I have here. I need to dig out, and ebay is just one of my shovels. Once I see daylight, they will be going down the road!!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline humber2

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 01:49:42 AM »
eBay don't need any help, they know how to help themselves.

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 02:26:21 PM »
at what point does ebay ask for it??,,i think it was several years ago for pp...,dont think pp always had it from the get go??

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 09:17:29 PM »
I think(always dangerous I know), that the SS no. requirement came about when one of the two, PP or ebay, started reporting sales of $20,000 or more to the IRS. Etsy wants mine and I’m not even close, so I ignored them.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2020, 07:54:56 AM »
Here is a new Ebay rant.  They have changed their vacation settings to Time Away.  You cannot set an hour to start and end.  It is all done by the day, so you have to do it ahead of time.  They also do not allow a customized message in your listings, which I liked to do.  They continue to make it harder and more expensive for sellers, but I really don't have any other valid avenue for selling the volume I do.  So, I have to go along with all their changes.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 03:11:41 PM »
I agree with Mike, the need for the SS number relates to the IRS.  And, I know when I signed up for PP and E-bay many years ago I never provided my SS and I'm not doing it now!!!!

Offline amecks

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 07:49:59 PM »
They never asked for a SS number in the past.  Today I received an email from ebay regarding the change to "managed payments".  I will have to give some thought to whether I will continue with ebay after the deadline on Dec 31. 
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2020, 02:11:08 PM »
I broke down and registered for the managed payments today.  I do not like giving them my social, but PayPal has had it for awhile.  I did notice that I will be able to set it up so that the funds only transfer once a week.  That will work better for me.  I do not want a transfer to my checking account every time someone buys an item.  Now I have to decide whether or not to commit to a year of the premium store rate.  Flea markets look iffy this spring and maybe this summer too, so I will probably do it and keep my Ebay listings up.

I am like LP in that I have tons of stuff to sell.  I need to get out from under it, and never will without Ebay.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2020, 02:43:15 PM »
While in the hospital last week, I had my son close the few Ebay listings I had. They were all relists that had not sold anyway.

I will wait until January to start over.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/