Author Topic: Ebay Rant  (Read 2884 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Ebay Rant
« on: November 27, 2020, 09:17:10 PM »
Has anyone else signed on to the new ebay payment system?  They have ended their partnership with Paypal, and the payment from buyers is collected by ebay, and then they post it to your bank account. It doesn't become mandatory until late December, but I thought I would sign up early. You will need to provide them with a checking account number, a checking account routing number, and your Social Security number. I balked at the SS number, but I couldn't receive payment until I added it. To make matters worse, there is a lag of 2-3 days from when the seller pays, to when the money clears your bank, and they still expect you to ship ASAP!!  They are still collecting Final Value Fees on the sale, plus shipping. Seller fees are deducted from the amount that goes to your bank.I believe the Final Value Fee is around 12.5%, and that is for sellers with Above Standard Ratings or better. If your sales put you below Above Standard, there are Penalty Fees added!! Sorry about the rant, I may not have all of the facts, but once again, ebay has made life miserable for sellers!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Online skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
Re: Ebay Rant
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 09:54:57 PM »
you have it correct

I just did the same thing

more $ for them, more angst for us

but where else can we get 5 million people to  see our stuff?

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 09:58:24 PM »
Well I have quit buying stuff unless it's cheap! (and I squeak when I walk) When that one bitch took over it became useless china junk, every search was nothing of value. I complained and complained. Nothing happened, so I quit buying on there.  Just a matter of time before suckerberg make fbmarket place into the same thing.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 05:33:57 AM »
not doing,waiting till ...forced??...miss the final value fee discounts,,,but not offering free free returns etc...thank you for explaining how the managed payments work,....i now consider selling on ebay as entertainment...lol...with a FEW :cry:  extra bucks in my pocket..ALSO  i saw an offer ,i think it was 20% off FVF if using FedEx or ups...not doing,,,hate change????

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 07:22:25 AM »
Hello, skip. i wish that could get that number of people to bid on my stuff!! Oldgoaly, you must not have been looking at Skip's, and, my stuff  :cheesy:

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 03:27:15 PM »
I have reached the point that I will probably give up selling on e-bay.  I sell in a local "treasure gallery" and move a lot of items that are less than $10.00 that will never sell on e-bay.  Costs me $14.00 a month plus 5%.  I figure I break even with e-bay if I sell $100.00 a month and I always do that.  Plus, there is no hassle with shipping, packaging etc.  I go to town to shop every week so I'm there anyway. You forget to mention the charge when you remove an item from listing.  And yes, I don't have to worry about returns.

Offline amecks

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 04:58:09 PM »
If 12.5% will be the total fee for a buy it now listing, then they will be 0.4% less than we pay now.  Because Paypal charges 2.9% in addition to ebay''s 10%.  Anyway it's not enough to make it easier or more affordable to sell on ebay.  I keep about 15-20 listings and it's a struggle.  Once in a great while I will sell something where I can make $40 or $50, but usually it's just an occasional $5 or $10.  It has got to where I feel it's not worth the time and trouble.
I don't think I have enough good items to sell in a store, but there's no lack of local shops.  I will ask around to see if they have affordable space available.  Otherwise I plan to try to have a swap meet or garage sale. 
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »
I guess I am dis-appointed with the new system, it took me a long time to get used to the current one. I also liked having the money separate from my household banking, oh well!! One thing my bank recommended was to open a separate checking account just for ebay. I am going to look into it, and if I can get  an account with no annual fee, I will give it a try!! Thanks for listening , and for joining in, Lou

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 10:12:12 AM »
Years ago when I started on Ebay, I opened a bank account just for Ebay and Paypal. My bank accounts are free of annual fees and transfers from to and from Paypal are free at my age.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 10:47:09 AM »
Thanks for the info!! I will check things out with my bank tomorrow!!

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 02:06:13 PM »
I have been selling a lot on Ebay this year because my wife did not want me to go to flea markets with the virus.  I liked PayPal because all the transactions were on their system and I just transferred money to my checking account occasionally.  I really do not want 50 zillion transactions to my checking account.  I guess I will have to open a separate checking account just for Ebay, but I am not sure I can find one without fees.

The only thing good about the new system is that more forms of payment are accepted and maybe people will buy more that buy everything with their phone.  I am also at the point with my Ebay store where I need to upgrade back to the premium store (60.00/month) because I have more than 500 items and it is costing me more than that for my regular store fee (26.00/month) plus extra listing fees.  The catch is you only get that rate if you commit to a year at a time.  So, if I upgrade to the Premium store, I have to continue with listing a lot of items, which is hard to do with my day job and other responsibilities.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 02:47:40 PM »
I also liked being able to pay for other services with my Paypal account for buyer protection. If I don't have enough money in the Paypal account they hit my checking account, anyway. I am going totry my bank tomorrow, might be a case of having to keep a minimum balance to get around the fee!!

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 06:46:33 PM »
When I was selling on eBay, before they started their "anti seller, pro buyer" policies, I set up two accounts at a credit union. Different from where we banked. When Pay Pal put money in the checking account I then would move it immediately to the other account. PP is another untrustworthy bunch just like eBay. I did this so they couldn’t take money out of my account without me knowing.

Back then you didn’t have to have a credit card on file with them. I do this with my Etsy account now since I don’t trust them either, although they do require a CC on file.

I guess my point is try a credit union or a bank that’s closer to you. Credit unions are probably your best bet for a free account, although you may have to forego paper statements in order to get the freebies.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 06:51:54 PM »
Hello, Mike. I didn't get a chance to walk in to my bank, and they are close by. Will try again later in the week!! Thanks, Lou  P.S. And I thought I was the only one who felt they were "anti seller, pro buyer" :cheesy:

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 08:52:31 PM »
Ebay Catch 22;      I  can't afford to sell as much as I used to on ebay, because they keep raising the fees!!     If I don't keep selling on ebay as much as I used to, they will keep raising the fees!!!