Author Topic: I'm calling these woodworking?  (Read 3078 times)

Offline p_toad

I'm calling these woodworking?
« on: July 28, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
On the left is a No.2 by the C.T.D Co. Cleve, Oh (H2276)

In the middle, Craftsman Vanadium BB

On the right, 1/4x2 (C in a diamond; haven't looked that up yet).

Offline oldgoaly

Re: I'm calling these woodworking?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 06:53:49 PM »
tapered reamer could be used on soft metal, ones I have a fairly hard. I use mine to deburr holes.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline leg17

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 08:21:38 PM »
I think the one on the right is for pipe, used after cutting to length to de-bur.
The screwdriver in the center is a screwdriver.  Use it for whatever.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »
I think the one on the right is for pipe, used after cutting to length to de-bur.
The screwdriver in the center is a screwdriver.  Use it for whatever.
Yep.  Both reamers may have been for pipe, but certainly the one on the right is.

If you get threaded pipe (galvanized water or black for gas) cut at the hardware store, the machine will have an almost identical reamer - the business end, not the square taper - in a holder that pivots off the back of the machine to ream off the ridge left by cutting.

Time was, nearly every trade had uses for a brace.  For instance, I've got a bit used for automotive valve grinding, with two little adjustable tangs to fit into the divots on early automobile engine valves.  There's been something of a rediscovery of the usefulness of braces for purposes other than drilling holes.  Lee Valley offers both a 3/8" square drive bit, for use with sockets, and a 1/4" hex bit, for use with insert bits for screwdriving.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 09:38:56 PM by Bill Houghton »

Offline Doma carbide burr

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 02:48:45 AM »
What drives a reamer of this size? They look big. There is no doubt that they are used to process non-ferrous material, maybe plastic pipe.

A bunch of deburring tools and project in our shoppe
https://www.domacarbidetools.com/

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 11:12:44 AM »
What drives a reamer of this size? They look big. There is no doubt that they are used to process non-ferrous material, maybe plastic pipe.
The tapered square shank is a clue that they were used in a brace, see picture attached.  Given the apparent age, plastic pipe seems unlikely.  I have a deburring tool for plastic pipe of much more recent manufacture that offers deburring on both the outer and inner edges - useful when you're using a saw to cut pipe, as the trailing side of the cut is often full of feathers of plastic.

Offline papadan

• Just an old wrench tugger
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 08:02:51 PM »
Welcome to the site Doma, always good to have a professional from any tool company. Let us know if you need testers for your new cutters. :grin:
VWs to D10s, I've fixed em.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society