Author Topic: Two Sharpening Stone Identifications? One is white and other brownish.  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Butcher1942

Hey All Again,

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify (at least a rough idea) what type of stones these two are? I've been reading up about the names and brands about them but puzzled One is white and the other is a brownish color. There are no markings and I did not see any boxes. The white stones back side looks like it is darker from use

The brownish one seems coarser but still smooth and the whitish one seems a bit more finer.

The white measures 8x2x 3/4" and the browinsh one measures 8x2x1" (a tad less then 1")

I period is unknown but they were from my grandfather's/Great grandfather's collection and most of the tools are old. I also have an Acme Oil and Water stone in the box but I figured not to show it since I know what it is since I had the name :)

Thanks Again for the Help  :) and let me know if you need more photos as I was only limited to 800kb.

- Butch

Offline p_toad

Re: Two Sharpening Stone Identifications? One is white and other brownish.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 07:40:54 PM »
the texture in the pictures makes me think Arkansas or Washita stone.   These were natural mineral stones and are still being produced today.

Offline Butcher1942

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 09:17:27 PM »
the texture in the pictures makes me think Arkansas or Washita stone.   These were natural mineral stones and are still being produced today.

Thanks P_Toad.

I have been looking around at names and trying to learn :) and noticed some of the white stones being "Norton Lily White Washita" or "Pike Lily White Washita". Or simply "Lilly White Arkansas". Could that be possible for the white one? And the Darker one "Arkansas Mineral Stone" or simply "Washita Mineral Stone" Depending upon which one it is?

I also attached a photo with the same magnification of an ACME combination "Oil -Stone" that I found with them that has a box (thats how I knew the name lol),

Many Thanks for your Help :)

Offline p_toad

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 04:25:06 PM »
the combination stone is probably synthetic material (fused with a binder) and most likely has a coarse and fine side.   these are all good general use stones.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 03:10:10 PM »
...an ACME combination "Oil -Stone" ...
Last used by Wile E. Coyote to sharpen the edges on his Acme High-speed Sand Skates that were guaranteed to allow him to skate as fast as the Road Runner runs, but actually dug into the sand and caused him to fall flat on his face at high speed, abrading off his nose.

Offline Butcher1942

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 05:30:50 PM »
...an ACME combination "Oil -Stone" ...
Last used by Wile E. Coyote to sharpen the edges on his Acme High-speed Sand Skates that were guaranteed to allow him to skate as fast as the Road Runner runs, but actually dug into the sand and caused him to fall flat on his face at high speed, abrading off his nose.

Thats Funny :smiley: