Author Topic: ebay fees  (Read 1444 times)

Online amecks

ebay fees
« on: January 28, 2021, 08:17:41 AM »
Beginning with the new Managed Payments system - I can't seem to get an accurate amount for fees and other charges on my (only 2) sales.  Selling in the Collectibles category is supposed to be 12.5% plus 30 cents transaction fee.  These are no listing fees or special add ons.  The only other deduction is shipping which is figured thru ebay shipping.  No matter how I try to figure it out I can't get my net to equal my ebay payout.  Here's an example when I sold the Snail wrench.
$13.00 minus fee $1.93 and shipping $3.51 = $7.56 ..............ebay paid $7.37

The difference ($0.19) can be narrowed down....it seems to be in the fee structure.  Here is what I came up with...
$13.00 minus &1.93 (12.5% plus 30 cents) = $11.07
ebay comes up with $10.88...
but they don't detail how they came to $10.88.
Has anyone else figured this out or are we all getting screwed?
Al

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
Re: ebay fees
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 11:57:57 AM »
Many people I have talked to cant figure this out either, Al

I believe we are getting screwed.

BTW  watch what they charge you for shipping, its often not what they predicted it to be

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 03:31:05 PM »
any paypal fees?

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 06:37:20 PM »
Knowing eBay you’re probably getting screwed. Another question though, do you have to use ebay shipping? Why don’t you use your own shipping service? At least you wouldn’t be putting more money in eBay’s pockets.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Online amecks

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 06:00:10 AM »
"any paypal fees?"   No.  This problem developed when ebay took over payments from paypal.  Previous fees were ebay 10%,  and paypal 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction.  Supposedly now ebay charges 12.5% plus 30cents per transaction.  In the previous system the math always worked and I could tell exactly what my net would be.  Now I cannot tell exactly - I have to guess.  It seems to be more like 15% than 12.5%.

"do you have to use ebay shipping?"  No, but they offer a discount from USPS, UPS etc.  Its enough of a discount that it makes a difference on my small dollar items. 

I am trying to figure out if they charge their percentage on the sale price after tax.  Next time I sell an item I'll try that formula but I don't think that is the key to figuring out their charge.  All their fees and shipping costs get displayed in the seller center, but they don't explain how they come to the fee cost - it certainly isn't 12.5%+.30.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 08:54:12 AM »
For all you eBay sellers who are tired of getting screwed by them. You can fight back in a very small way by using a company called "pirate ship" to buy discounted postage. I’ve used them for 8 months now and they have been great.

While I’m normally not much of a fan of "online chat", theirs works, they have gotten back to me in a matter of minutes on any questions I’ve had.
You should also investigate their "cubic" pricing. It’s a bit complicated but can save you a ton of money if you’re shipping relatively heavy small volume stuff like tools. I put the link below for any of you who are interested.

https://www.pirateship.com/

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 10:47:58 AM »
Hello, Mike. I use Pirate Ship too!! They offer the Regional Rate Boxes, where Paypal or ebay does not. Also, shipping to military bases is a breeze, all of the forms are right there on Pirate Ship!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 01:00:13 PM »
I have been using Pirate Ship a bit myself. The "cubic" shipping is a good deal.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Online amecks

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 09:30:47 PM »
I think I have found where ebay is charging me extra - it is the "International Fee". 

"If your registered address is in the US, we charge an International fee if either:
    The delivery address for the item (entered by the buyer during checkout) is outside the US, or
    The buyer's registered address is outside the US (regardless of the delivery address for the item)
This fee is calculated as 1.65% of the total amount of the sale and is automatically deducted from your sales."

So, you might expect they would charge a fee if you sold an item outside the US.  But you could also have to pay a fee even though you are shipping IN the US - if the buyer is registered as outside the US. 
One of my sales was shipped to Niagara Falls, NY, USA but I was still charged a fee.  I'm guessing the buyer is Canadian and will pick up the package across the border.  So even if you choose to not sell internationally, you can still get charged the International Fee.  This adds a level of unpredictability to our sales net.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 11:00:31 AM »
I only sell within the US. It seems like my eBay fees are close to 15% recently. At least it’s getting easier to walk into my garage.
-Don
CONTRIBUTOR

Online amecks

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 12:32:21 PM »
Maybe ebay believes anything outside of California is a foreign country.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 10:55:27 AM »
Al,  If I remember correctly,  EBay charges their cut on the final price + shipping.  Not fair, but that’s what they do.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Online amecks

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 07:00:54 AM »
I have finally figured out a formula to figure out ebays charges and the resulting net payout to me.
Your actual sale price
Add tax rate for buyers locale - see http://www.sale-tax.com/
Now figure ebay fees - 12.35% (for most categories) plus $0.30 transaction fee
Deduct the ebay fees from the beginning actual sale price
Now you can subtract shipping charge
This will be your net - unless there are other circumstances as mention previously like the "International Fee".

This info is for sellers like me that don't have "a store" or other special arrangement with ebay.

$12.99 sale
     .94 add tax from a rate table
$13.93 subtotal
$2.02 fee figure 12.35% plus $0.30
$12.99 sale price again
$2.02  subtract fee figure
$10.97 subtotal
$3.85 subtract shipping
$7.12 your net
Calculated from sale of Diamalloy battey pliers yesterday
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 07:02:29 AM by amecks »
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 07:46:44 AM »
Did your $12.99 price say free shipping?

Online amecks

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 05:49:45 AM »
Yes.  Most all my listings are "free shipping".  Makes it easier for the buyer to figure actual cost.
Al
Jordan, NY