Author Topic: Last weekend's finds - highlights  (Read 652 times)

Online Bill Houghton

Last weekend's finds - highlights
« on: March 03, 2021, 01:05:39 PM »
I wound up with my hands full (should have taken a bag), but these were the highlights:

A little metalworking vise by the Modern [something] company of Milwaukee; I think Modern Equipment, which made metal casting equipment and is still in business.  I've contacted them to ask if it's theirs (I am, of course, secretly hoping to hear back, "Oh wow, we've been looking for one of those for a decade; will you take $10,000 for it?"

The latest acquisition for the completely unnecessary herd of interesting old tape measures:

Dairypak made milk cartons and the like, but seems to be out of business.  Zippo made the tape, which is an interesting construction: one piece metal body, with the tape mechanism slid into the bottom, kind of like the Zippo lighter but upside down.

An S-K 1/4" drive set.  I've seen flex handles with holes in the end of the handle before - they're pretty common, actually - but this is the first time I've seen a factory sliding bar for use in that hole.

Several eight-point sockets, and a nice ratchet, but, if anyone's desperate for sockets or other bits here to fill out a set, contact me to haggle.

Offline amecks

Re: Last weekend's finds - highlights
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 06:26:27 PM »
Nice stuff Bill.  Sturdy looking vise.
Al
Jordan, NY

Online Yadda

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 07:27:23 PM »
Nice stuff Bill.  Sturdy looking vise.

+1
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 07:37:59 AM »
I wound up with my hands full (should have taken a bag), but these were the highlights:

A little metalworking vise by the Modern [something] company of Milwaukee; I think Modern Equipment, which made metal casting equipment and is still in business.  I've contacted them to ask if it's theirs (I am, of course, secretly hoping to hear back, "Oh wow, we've been looking for one of those for a decade; will you take $10,000 for it?"

The latest acquisition for the completely unnecessary herd of interesting old tape measures:

Dairypak made milk cartons and the like, but seems to be out of business.  Zippo made the tape, which is an interesting construction: one piece metal body, with the tape mechanism slid into the bottom, kind of like the Zippo lighter but upside down.

An S-K 1/4" drive set.  I've seen flex handles with holes in the end of the handle before - they're pretty common, actually - but this is the first time I've seen a factory sliding bar for use in that hole.

Several eight-point sockets, and a nice ratchet, but, if anyone's desperate for sockets or other bits here to fill out a set, contact me to haggle.
Nice complete looking wartime S-K 1/4” drive set. Normally the flex handle and extensions along with the crossbar are unmarked. It probably had a water transfer S-K decal inside the lid but those were fragile. I have a weakness for those sets.
-Don
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 07:47:10 AM by d42jeep »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR