Author Topic: Off Topic- nice old truck  (Read 7647 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Off Topic- nice old truck
« on: May 24, 2011, 04:03:05 AM »
Classic Chevy Truck If you spend anytime reading truck history you will soon learn that a common design theme which is repeated over and over again is that of "massiveness." This word was used to describe the front appearance of the new 1941 Chevrolet Trucks. Especially on light-duty trucks designers continually worked to get just the right look of massiveness and ruggedness in the truck's grille, front bumper and front fenders. I'm not so sure that the ruggedness and massiveness have stood the test of time for the 1941-1946 Chevrolet pickups. John Gunnell coined the term "Wurlitzer" for these trucks, which is a wonderfully descriptive term. I think the point is clear: these are attractive trucks but maybe not all that massive. We must admit that it is hard to miss all that bright chrome, however I tip my hat to the Chevrolet designers for their work, which has stood the test of time.

The 1941 3/4-ton Chevrolet pickup was built on a 125 1/4-inch wheelbase chassis. Series AL 3/4-ton trucks were equipped with 15-inch wheels and tires.

Classic Chevy Truck by Noel C. Hankamer, on Flickr

I shot this photo Monday morning on the way home from work.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
GM has always placed an emphasis on sheet metal glory with quality engineering and construction sometimes coming in a distant second (my 4-carbeurator 1969 Corvair and my manual transmission Citation). Here is part of the massive grille on a 1918 Cadillac. The transmission on this car is a hodge-podge of scavenged gears from junked cars.

Once other American car makers saw the success GM achieved with sheet metal tricks, they followed suit. The result: Cords and Auburn Speedsters, 1937 Ford V8 Pickups, Chrysler Airflows, Nash Pinin Farina bodies, Loewy-designed Studebakers, Edsels, 1957 Chrysler New Yorkers and 300s, 1955 Oldsmobile 98s and Buick Centurys, El Caminos etc, etc. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:23:59 PM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline Nolatoolguy

Re: Off Topic- nice old truck
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 03:09:11 PM »
I wasnt around back then but I sure wish I was just to see the vehicles and tools.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 04:35:08 PM »
Well here is one nice old car, a 1935 Chrysler Airflow. The gentleman who owned the car was George L. Wickes, my grandfather.  At the time, he was a Commander in the U.S. Navy and a Surgeon.  The Navy seconded him to Syracuse to serve as Medical Officer for the CCC in that area. He stayed in the Navy for 44 years!

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »
I have many old original salesmans filmstrips for Chevrolet dated 1929 1930 and the only thing emphasized back then was sell the car, wether the prospect could afford it or not sell the car. Quality or construction may have been...... with quality engineering and construction sometimes coming in a distant second ......distant was a good term but they did end up getting it right on some vehicles. They all have their red headed step children
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline herbie

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 10:16:48 AM »
My father had a '39 Chevy flat bed on the farm.  I always loved to ride with him to watch him handle it.  He was a truck driver during WWII in the Pacific.  The Chevy had a two speed rear and I don't know how many gears up front.  He would always double clutch and had a particular flex of his wrist to get the timing right.  I never heard a gear crunch.

After I left home to be on my own I bought a '64 Triumph TR4.  I gave him a ride once to show off my shifting ability.  He thought that was okay.  We pulled up to stop light next to an 18 wheeler and pop saw his image reflected back from a shiny hubcap at his eye level.  He never got in that car again!

Herbie

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 04:15:47 PM »
Been there, herbie! Driving an MGA on Houston freeways was a blast if you were young and felt bullet proof!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

lzenglish

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:54:09 AM »
A picture of my sisters 57 chevy. I get to drive it 3 or 4 times a year, if I'm a good boy. Completley gone thru from the frame up, with all the receipts. I keep telling her to buy some chrome reverse rims for it, as the cragers don't do it justice!
PS. It will be mine one day!!!!

Wayne

Offline herbie

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »
Nice '57.  Attached is a pix of my truck.  I put it together in 1968 and I still run it around.  Now, its only a Dodge but....The engine is a Chevy 283, the front end is a 49 GMC, the tranny, drive shaft and rear are '59 corvette.  Yes, I had those vehicles and if I kept them up they would be worth 10 times what this truck is now.  Not only were we invincible in youth, we were a little short sighted.  But, we are wise old folks now.  Right?

Herbie

lzenglish

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 10:08:58 AM »
Nice '57.  Attached is a pix of my truck.  I put it together in 1968 and I still run it around.  Now, its only a Dodge but....The engine is a Chevy 283, the front end is a 49 GMC, the tranny, drive shaft and rear are '59 corvette.  Yes, I had those vehicles and if I kept them up they would be worth 10 times what this truck is now.  Not only were we invincible in youth, we were a little short sighted.  But, we are wise old folks now.  Right?

Herbie

NICE !!!!!

Wayne

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 08:05:03 AM »
I really like that ol Dodge!

Offline Branson

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:22:46 PM »
I love both vehicles.  The 57 Chevy is a design that just looks good, again and again and again!

The other, now that's a pickup!  What more can you say?  Oh, a vintage pickup with a 283...  Nice!