Author Topic: This weeks treasure  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
This weeks treasure
« on: December 05, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »
At our library used book store I found this treasure for $4.00.

I've been looking for an unabridged Websters Desk Dictionary for a long time.  Now all I need is an unabridged Oxford.
"Never laugh at live dragons" Bilbo Baggins "The
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

http://www.plantshepherdplus.com

Offline Branson

Re: This weeks treasure
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 06:26:28 AM »
>Now all I need is an unabridged Oxford.

You can come over and use mine.<g>  I do see the two volume set from time to time -- the one that comes with a magnifying glass.

I saved another book yesterday from the recycle bin. (actually four, but this one stands out).  A Persian Journey,  Being an Etcher's Impressions of the Middle East, by Fred Richards, R.E.  I can't believe anyone would send it to recycle!  Published in 1931, apparently a first edition, since I found '32 editions for sale.  All the firsts I found were bound in read cloth, but this one is full bound in calf.  I haven't been able to find a reference to a calf bound edition.  It's the kind of binding that is the top of the book binder's art -- the sort one finds on 18th and 19th Century fine books. 

I guess it was donated to the library, and the library couldn't use it.  The smart folks at the Chino library sell such books through Amazon, where I got my first edition of De Cristoforo's  Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone, featuring the ShopSmith ER.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 06:51:21 AM »
Read cloth?  Is that a bibliophilian slip?
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 05:34:05 PM »
Going to have to have an unabridged desk to hold it up though.
 yours Scott

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
Yeah ScottG I thinking maybe a stand made of cross tie cutoffs available at my buddies sawmill.  Of course that brings up shoring up the floor etc & etc & etc.  My dad and me built a 4 X 10 leather cutting table with cross tie cutoff legs and a 2 X 3 top.  When I closed my shop it took 4 200 lb men to put it on the trailer.  My boys used to mark everything I made Manufactured by Cleveland Hernia and Truss Co. HaHaHaHa
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:21:25 PM by Stoney »
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:27:43 AM »
Read cloth?  Is that a bibliophilian slip?

Fear so.  Make that RED cloth.

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 06:37:18 AM »
Now all I need is an unabridged Oxford.

Oxford published (publishes?) a dictionary about the size of your Merriam.  The Oxford Universal Dictionary.  I found
one of those a while back, and it sits on the shelf next to the 12 volume OED.  Makes three feet of dictionary.  You can
look up words and get your daily exercise!

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »
WOW with that, I could give up my Fitness Center membership and exercise my mind and muscles at the same time.
Hobbit"

-Thomas Edison

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »

.  A Persian Journey,  Being an Etcher's Impressions of the Middle East, by Fred Richards, R.E.  I can't believe anyone would send it to recycle!  Published in 1931, apparently a first edition, since I found '32 editions for sale.  All the firsts I found were bound in read cloth, but this one is full bound in calf.  I haven't been able to find a reference to a calf bound edition.  It's the kind of binding that is the top of the book binder's art -- the sort one finds on 18th and 19th Century fine books. 

Maybe it's an authors copy.  Sometimes the publishing company will publish a limited number in special bindings for the author to give out.
Hobbit"

-Thomas Edison

Offline Branson

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 07:29:45 AM »
Maybe it's an authors copy.  Sometimes the publishing company will publish a limited number in special bindings for the author to give out.

Or somebody had it specially bound after purchase.  Or, occasionally more expensively bound limited editions were made available. I dunno yet.
I might ask a rare book dealer what he knows, thinks, or can find out.

The leather shows a good deal of rubbing on the edges of the boards, but the book is still sound.

Offline Steve-o

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Cool nice book.
I dont need 1. I am married and the wife knows all.  lol
It is what it is.