Author Topic: Are these old Dodge wrenches?  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Are these old Dodge wrenches?
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:37:01 AM »
These two open-ended wrenches are rumored to be early Dodge Brothers automobile wrenches. Can anyone confirm or dispel this rumor?

The wrench specifications are as follows:

Both wrenches are 9 7/8" long;
The #4 wrench has a 1 1/8" opening and a 15/16" opening; and
The #5 wrench has 2 1-inch openings.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:40:03 AM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Are these old Dodge wrenches?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:40:54 AM »
Bob (1930 ) will know.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 03:34:15 PM »
Im gonna try and quote Aunt Phil and was it Rusty?....No they are junk, you better send them to me....end of quote.
Yes they are Dodge wrenches, different numbered wrenches were assigned to different model cars, by the way, not just Dodge, all Chrysler products used these wrenches or I am not sure how to rephrase so I will add that the higher line Chryslers may have used a cast wrench but I am still working on that so lets say all the cheap models used these.
If you are interested I can post more info concerning this.

5 is the most commonly found, 4s are pretty common also, 2 s are the next easiest 1s after that and they really are not too difficult ( I have a stack ) 3  I have been unable to find as of yet.
I am starting to work on the reasoning for this but just havent had the time to delve into it. It may be that they are  simply just not stamped but again its a theory for now that will take time.

I understand you are not offering but if you would like to part with them for a few bucks a piece ( just enough to make it worth your time ) than I would like to have them
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:54:26 PM by 1930 »
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »

My theory is that all the  #3 wrenches have been destroyed by people actually trying to remove head bolts with them...

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 04:57:23 PM »
One  theory is that because of part # changes  which I have yet to verify the # 2s became the # 3 s. Another thought that has crossed my mind is that the # 3 were never stamped. Again I have some ideas on this but I need to work it out before I comment.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.