Author Topic: posting pict  (Read 2797 times)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
posting pict
« on: May 26, 2011, 03:43:09 PM »
Sorry if this has already been answered but why is it that some guy are able to post pict. that take up nearly the whole screen and I am able to post a picture that is so small none of my details show up. If I try posting a decent size pict. it says error, 250 KB max.
How can I fix this, thanks
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

Re: posting pict
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »

The large pictures are pictures that are on other sites like flikr, linked in as a picture. For some annoying reason the forum makes a distinction between pictures hosted elsewhere and the ones that are stored on the forum (which it makes into annoyingly small thumbnails)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »
I see, good answer, thanks
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline RLT

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:12:43 AM »
You should be able to click on the thumbnails and bring them up to full size.

Most sites use the thumbnails for a few reasons.
1. They don't tie up bandwidth. Of which most hosts only give so much per month. Then they either shut it down until bandwidth resets or they charge a LOT more.

2. Thumbnails are easier on the folks with slow connections. They can enlarge the pics they want detail on and just browse the rest.

3. They cause less of a load on the servers. Most Hosts have a limit on server cpu usage ,if you go over it your account is canceled.  This is true on shared hosting and reseller hosts.

4. The small limits on picture size allow more pictures to be stored on the disk. My camera averages 2.4 meg for simple pictures. So one picture would use up the space that could be used by about ten others.

I'll shut up now but I could go on.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »
MY ANSWER IS BETTER AND LESS NERVE WRACKING . I JUST STOPPED TRYING TO POST PICS HERE BOB W.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

walker

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »
ME TOO BOB,YOUR NOT ALONE!!
brian