Author Topic: 4pt socket ramblings  (Read 2523 times)

Offline KeepinOldBolts

4pt socket ramblings
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:15:05 PM »
Digging through my....ugh...stuff. I wondered about my oddball vintage 4pt sockets with plain steel finish and no makers mark. Out of sheer coincidence, I was scrolling through the SK section of AA and saw what sure seemed to be a match to mine. No makers mark, but a dot.

Compare that to the Indestro (or BOG) identified with a star on either side, and sure enough that identified my other set.

Thus, rambling on about 4pts even more, the Herbrand is clearly noted with the Circle/H as shown in the picture, and while it does the job, it sure wont win a beauty contest.

It takes a maker like Williams however to raise the bar on the lowly 4pt socket.

Nice job Williams!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:19:37 PM by KeepinOldBolts »
Old tractors, old cars, new Harleys

Looking for HinsDale 4 points 1/2dr in a few sizes and a Bonney 12point 1/2" in 3/8dr.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: 4pt socket ramblings
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
Why are you calling them 4 point sockets? I'm confused.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline KeepinOldBolts

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:39:49 AM »
I'm discussing my 4pt sockets, the pictures are from AA's website and show 12pt examples. I used their pics for the clarity of the makers mark. Sorry for any confusion.

Looking for HinsDale 4 points 1/2dr in a few sizes and a Bonney 12point 1/2" in 3/8dr.

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 08:08:50 AM »
I had never seen one before. AA shows some Blackhawk 4 point sockets.  Neat !!

Brian L.

Offline KeepinOldBolts

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:16:19 AM »
Yup, those sockets fit the bill when working on square headed bolts...no different than 8pt sockets will.

The Williams takes up the space for a missing Herbrand in 1\2". Weirdest thing you have ever seen....the drive end being the same size as the business end. A flip flop socket. Ha!