Author Topic: Diamalloy Handiman  (Read 11821 times)

Offline kxxr

Diamalloy Handiman
« on: December 16, 2011, 07:02:09 PM »
My first ever one of these ... never have seen this particular model. And made in the USA even!

Barely visible (acid etched?) marking on the flip side:

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
Re: Diamalloy Handiman
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:50:56 PM »
I just picked up my first on too a few weeks ago.I think their pretty cool.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »
I put these up for sale on Ebay and got a 'question' from an Ebayer that implied I was attempting to peddle a reproduction of this tool. He said that he has seen ones like the one pictured here marked 'repro' but offered no item number when I asked for one. I couldn't find any that had repro or reproduction in the description. There may be some but I couldn't find them. I couldn't find any by google either. I seriously doubt these are reproductions for a lot of reasons but thought I'd ask you all. Have you heard of such a thing? I know just about anything with value will be counterfeited but it's hard to imagine there's a profit in turning out 'aged' Handiman pliers.
Here's what the guy wrote to me:
is there a dh number on these pliers...and ive seen other pliers such as theses on ebay and it says right in the add repo..i dont know what to say.. but al the diamalloys that i have it says...diamalloy with a diamond shape struck over the word diamalloy...right under that it says...handyboy and not...handiman and rigt below that is says ...duluth...and right below that it says -dh 16-...unless you know something that i dont than id like to know...also i forgot to say if you open up the pliers on the inside of the screddriver handle it will say...forged in the u.s.a. and not saying made in the usa...i willawait your vrsion or views...tks Jude
Maybe I read too much into it, but ... seems like bad manners to me. It actually kind of pissed me off a little.

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »
A basic rule of logic is that it is only necessary to refute one point.

So here are two

1:)...handyboy and not...handiman
Hardware Age, 1954, Volume 174 shows  "Diamalloy Handiman" tools

2): it will say...forged in the u.s.a
Not if it was made in the Ontario plant it won't...

AA says" the Handiman tool remained popular after the war and was later rebranded as "Handiboy".

I don't know why anyone would make a 'reproduction' so different from the original, unless Diamond reissued the tool briefly for popular interest, in which case it isn't really a reproduction , as such..

Also, while looking, I found something kewl, a Handiman 'Ski-Tool'

http://books.google.com/books?id=mykDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA31&dq=%22diamalloy%22+handiman&hl=en&sa=X&ei=exMzT6O9HNTjggewxfTgCA&ved=0CE8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22diamalloy%22%20handiman&f=false
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:45:27 PM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:23:06 PM »
Thanks, Rusty.
This guy just kept coming at me. He sent me 3 or 4 emails. I advised him not to bid, as neither of us needed the aggravation. Sheeesh!

Offline Tool Pants

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:40:22 PM »

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:06:55 PM »

There was an Ontario plant?! Know any details?

kxxr, you can direct your questioner to this example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1930s-STEEL-CORP-Handyman-Diamalloy-Handiman-DH16-multi-use-pliers-NICE-/280821205812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41623f8b34

AA say the Handiboy was introduced "in the 1940s", so we have a range of 1940 - 1948 for this example...

Kijiji King

Offline kxxr

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:00:18 AM »
There are reproductions.

http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/Diamond/10500.html

Good to know. It certainly doesn't look like any one is trying to disguise the reproduction as genuine. It would be easy to differentiate the new imported ones from a genuine. I am relieved, I would not want to get tangled up in any misrepresentation mess. Thanks, TP.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 06:16:15 AM »

There was an Ontario plant?! Know any details?

kxxr, you can direct your questioner to this example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1930s-STEEL-CORP-Handyman-Diamalloy-Handiman-DH16-multi-use-pliers-NICE-/280821205812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41623f8b34

AA say the Handiboy was introduced "in the 1940s", so we have a range of 1940 - 1948 for this example...

lb, I think the buyer would not have questioned the example you show here. His concern, or one of them anyway, was that the item I listed was not like the others he had seen. I think he was expecting to see something more like the one you have linked to here. He was probably thinking he might end up with one of the imported $10 tools from Epstein's. I can understand that. His approach was just clumsy.

Thanks to all for helping me avert an ugly Ebay mess. You're the best!

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 08:11:22 AM »
If I recall we discussed these before in this forum but I don't remember if it was before the melt down or not. I have 3 pairs in my collection.

Handyboy 6 1/2 inches long adjusts to 1/2 inch wrench opening

Handyboy 5 11/16 inches long, adjusts to 1/2 inch wrench opening

Handiman 6 1/2 inches long adjusts to 5/8 wrench opening

All 3 have wire cutters, one set has a siccor style cutter and 2 sets have the pincher style cutter.

The jaws vary on them too.

All 3 are marked DH 16 with the Diamalloy logo of various styles.

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
He was probably thinking he might end up with one of the imported $10 tools from Epstein's. I can understand that.

Sorry, I thought you were aware of the repros at Harry's. Still, as you say, those repros don't feature any claim of "Made in the USA", so yours should not have been seriously questioned...

(As an aside, while looking at your auction, I peeked at your other items... Any chance you can find the missing axle insert for that Pedro's Universal Bicycle Crank Remover?)

Kijiji King

Offline kxxr

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 02:42:35 PM »
I don't have the other insert for that Pedro's. It is long lost. Sorry.

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »
Oh well. Thx anyhoo...

Kijiji King

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
Here's what I could round up out of the wrench dungeon. the Diamonds are listed in what I think is chronological order (oldest first).

1. 5.75" DIAMALLOY - DULUTH USA /  Rev. U.S - - With expanded jaw tips and pincher style wire cutters.

2. 5.75" DIAMALLOY (in diamond logo) HANDIMAN - DULUTH USA - /  U.S - - With expanded jaw tips and pincher style wire cutter.

3. 6.5" DIAMALLOY (in diamond logo) HANDIMAN - DULUTH USA - /  MADE IN USA  - - With expanded jaw tips and pincher style wire cutter.

4. 6.5" DIAMALLOY (in diamond logo) HANDYBOY - DULUTH DH16 /  Rev. FORGED IN USA  - - With expanded jaw tips and pincher style wire cutter.

5. 6.5" DIAMALLOY (in diamond logo) HANDYBOY - DULUTH DH16  / Rev. MADE IN USA  - - With expanded jaw tips and pincher style wire cutter.

6. 6.5" DIAMOND  HANDYBOY - DH16 - USA (in diamond logo)  / Rev. USA (in diamond logo)  - - With thicker jaws and scissor style wire cutter. NOS in original box.

7. 8" DIAMALLOY (in diamond logo) HANDYBOY - DULUTH - DH18 - USA (in diamond logo) - -  With thicker jaws and scissor style wire cutter. NOS on plastic covered card.

8.  6.5" DIAMALLOY (in diamond logo) HANDYBOY - DULUTH - DH16 - USA (in diamond logo) - - With thicker jaws and scissor style wire cutter. NOS on plastic covered card. Card states "Proudly Made in USA by Skilled Craftsman".

9. 8" unmarked rip-off with thicker jaws and pincher style wire cutter.

10. 5.75" marked only U.S. - - Older style with expanded jaw tips and pincher style wire cutters

All have 4" size Crescent type heads except Nos. 7 and 9 which have 6" size heads.

Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 10 have rivets holding the two halves together, the rest have bolts and nuts.

I purchased a local hardware store in 1981 and one of my suppliers still had the Handyboys listed in their catalog. I ordered a few pairs of both sizes and received them on cards like Nos. 7 and 8. But when I tried to reorder a few months later they were out of stock and could not get anymore from the manufacturer. I don't know exactly when Diamond stopped making them.

I have been told the ones marked "U.S" were for the military.  Anybody know if that is correct?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:00:02 PM by Bus »

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 07:39:07 PM »
My DH-18 that was on ebay just sold for $52 to a guy in Saskatchewan.  He claims to have the original leather pouch the tool came with.  When searching for price comps on this tool, I came across an ebay seller selling knockoffs of undetermined origin for $30 BIN.

The tool itself doesn't strike me as any more practical than the double headed Crescent/Dimalloy wrenches that are bringing big money on ebay these days, but they ARE cool, nonetheless.

DM&FS

Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice