Author Topic: J.M.King multi die block tool  (Read 9077 times)

lzenglish

J.M.King multi die block tool
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:08:43 AM »
I posted this 100 year old tool just prior to our old site going T.U. About a month later, I was watching one of my favorite programs, Roy Underhill, and the woodwright shop, on pbs. He had a blacksmith guest making some gate hinges, and used this same model tool for threading. What he said, and I did not know, was this type of die did allot more swaging of the threads, than cutting them. Also, the tap that was used with it, was a tapered one, so the size of the threads coud be matched up for fit. I thought this was quite interesting, and news to me. If you google the woodwright, you can watch how it was used, in the gate hing project program on your computer.

Wayne

Offline Branson

Re: J.M.King multi die block tool
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 02:56:42 AM »
I remember that post on Ye Olde site.  I had the opportunity to check the artificers stores we have, and we have exactly this one, as well as a larger die stock that takes a single die at a time (also a King). 

Looked at the period drawings of the one that was actually issued, and it has only one handle.  Weird, I think, but that's what was drawn.

Dressing threads makes a lot of sense to me.  I've had to dress a lot of threads working on old wagons in the past.

lzenglish

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:26:44 AM »
When you say dressing, I'm thinking you mean the same thing as what I call "thread chasing", corect? Anyway, after a new thread is formed with this tool, the new threads are actually larger in outside diameter than the original round stock, according to the blacksmith in the video. It is good to know Sutters Fort has one just like it! Do they actually use, or demonstrate it, or is it just on display at the Fort?

Thanks,

Wayne

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:55:43 AM »
When you say dressing, I'm thinking you mean the same thing as what I call "thread chasing", corect? Anyway, after a new thread is formed with this tool, the new threads are actually larger in outside diameter than the original round stock, according to the blacksmith in the video. It is good to know Sutters Fort has one just like it! Do they actually use, or demonstrate it, or is it just on display at the Fort?

Yeah, chasing.   I hate to lose original parts, and some of the bolts become deformed, so they have to be chased before reassembly. 

The rehabilitation of the blacksmiths shop at Sutters Fort didn't think of including taps or dies, I'm afraid.  We had a hard enough time convincing the state historian who drew up the plans that the existing forge shouldn't be converted to a side draft.   

The dies and die stocks were bought in assembling the tools and stores for the artificer section of the 3rd US Artillery.  We haven't used them yet because we don't have matching taps, and are uncertain whether the threads match anything available today.

lzenglish

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »
I'm on the lookout for a matching tap myself, and may have a lead on one. If he has more than one of them, I will let you know.

Wayne

Offline lazyassforge

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 07:12:35 AM »
This is an old "blacksmith tap" that I have. Like was mentioned it is tapered to tap different size nuts. It is 12 threads per inch.

Bill D.

lzenglish

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 12:00:35 PM »
This is an old "blacksmith tap" that I have. Like was mentioned it is tapered to tap different size nuts. It is 12 threads per inch.

Bill D.

That is the one I'm looking for as a mate to my die set, just to keep it company. If I cannot obtain one from my soarce, and you wish to sell yours, please PM me.

Thanks,

Wayne

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 01:07:28 PM »

Bill D.

That's a Boilermaker's cleanup tap.  12TPI is the giveaway.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline lazyassforge

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »
aunt phil, Thanks for the info on the tap. I have had boiler taps before which had a really long tapered thread. I had never thought about this one being a boiler tap also. The man who gave it to me had told me it was a blacksmith tap but he could have been wrong! I don't have enough personal experience to say one way or the other!

bd