Author Topic: $15000 John Deere Wrench (old story worth repeating)  (Read 10747 times)

Offline kxxr

$15000 John Deere Wrench (old story worth repeating)
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:14:49 PM »
I'd bet this is old news to some of you but it is a great story for those that haven't seen it.
http://www.yorknewstimes.com/articles/2009/04/29/news/doc49f7d2f0e46a0105518452.txt

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: $15000 John Deere Wrench (old story worth repeating)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 10:13:22 PM »
Yes, it was covered. Bus knows the story well.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 09:29:37 AM »
I like wrenches but that sucker might better have a tractor fastened to it and a real old john deere at that
bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline fliffy42

• Contributor
  • Leominster Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »
A little of subject but...

In the story it states.... "He specializes in John Deer wrenches, oil cans, cast iron seats and implement tool boxes." Does anyone know if there any tool box sites or catalogs out there anywhere? Not just for Deere but other tractors, cars, trucks etc...? I (and I assume the rest of us too) come across all sorts of old tool boxes and many I can never identify.
Looking for Bluepoint X & XD Series Box Wrenches

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 03:41:28 PM »
I read the story and my understanding was that there was a tractor that was sold right along with the wrench, a very rare tractor so in my opinion maybe the 15 gees isnt that outstanding. Maybe I misread
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »

Sadly, not quite..

"The buyer also obtained a >photo< of the one known complete tractor..."

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 07:30:22 PM »
Quote.........The very special wrench came with the experimental Dain all-wheel-drive, four cylinder, three-wheel tractor manufactured by John Deere in 1918-19 under the supervision of Joseph Dain, Jr. Just 100 of the machines were made and sold, primarily in the Dakotas, before the project was abandoned in favor of the John Deere Model D tractors.

I guess I misunderstood understanding now that it was implied when the wrench was new, 15 grand is a little on the high side, I guess since we can afford 15.000 dollar wrenches and new I-phones we can all afford to pay even a little more at the pump
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »
Never underestimate the value of bragging rights - P

When there are only a half dozen of something in the entire world, and you have one of them, and perhaps you have the BEST one of them, you have bragging rights .....

"I have the best one" only costs $3000 / word - P
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 11:10:39 PM by rusty »

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 09:51:14 PM »
 I was one of the $2.50 bidders;guess that doesn't come with bragging rights.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline rusty

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 11:12:11 PM »

It would have if you had won it for that LOL!

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
My brother asked as a joke if I was going to bid on the Dain (John Deere cutout) wrench.  One had gone for $24,000.00 in a private sale.  We thought that the $15,000.00 wrench would go higher.  I said how many holes could I fill in my collections with that kind of money.
"Never laugh at live dragons" Bilbo Baggins "The
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

http://www.plantshepherdplus.com

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 04:40:07 PM »
  I sold that wrench on the Wrenching News Don Ervin and Robert Matz Auction in April of 2009. The listing can be read at   http://wrenchingnews.com/ervin-matz-auction-2009/catalog.html . It was Lot No. 332

One had sold privately a few months before the auction for $20,000 which hurt the selling price some as that buyer would of been a bidder at the auction. The condition on this one was excellent (probably the best of the eleven to twelve examples known. It's history can be traced from it a sale at a local weekday afternoon auction in South Dakota for $75.00 thru five owners: The first three from South Dakota then Pennsylvania and now Tennessee. 

Another one exchanged hands in the parking lot immediately after Lot 332 sold for $14,000.  That one had surfaced in a small Nebraska town local auction and also sold for around $75.00. the buyer had it listed on ebay and it brought $12,000.

A story about the Ervin wrench, When Don delivered his wrenches for the auction the John Deere TR590 cutout was in a large display case with several supporting pieces. I didn't want to leave it in the storage shed with the other wrenches so I brought it in the house and put it in a spare storage room. Later I removed the screws from the display case lid and removed the TR590 as I wanted to photograph both sides.

A few weeks later a wrench collector from Canada stooped by to look at my collection. He asked to see the TR590 and I went to get it and couldn't find it in the storage room! I an sure he found that hard to believe, I mean most people don't lose track of a $20,000 wrench.

After he left I spend a good hour searching for it and finally gave up and decided that the next day I would have to start removing everything from the room one piece at a time till I found it. I went to bed wondering how I would break the news to Don if I didn't find it. I laid down, my head hit the pillow and  bingo it suddenly came to me where I had hid the wrench. I got up, went to the room, turned on the light and  found it under some boxes that were under a wardrobe closet.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 08:27:44 PM by Bus »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »
I bet you and Don were relieved!

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »
That's a safe place to keep your money. If it sells again, he'll get his money back.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »
I've seen the Dain/JD tractor at shows.  It is so unique its worth going for a look see.  The two wheels are at the front, one wheel in the back, all wheel drive.  Big brass radiator, 4 cylinder, full hood with sides.  The man that restored it had to re-create many parts.  I know for awhile it was on display at JD headquarters in Moline, Illinois, they have quite a webpage.  Growing up with the 2 cylinder johnny poppers, you can see immediately how this tractor was in no way related to them.  I know another Dain tool box has been found,  but those wrenches, double ouch.   Maybe some day another will be found in a barn.