Author Topic: $10 Box at the Auction.  (Read 6051 times)

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
$10 Box at the Auction.
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:22:04 AM »
From the Top and moving clockwise we have a No name power saw with  Bakelite knobs.  Looks like someone painted it silver after the tools was originally bought. Anyone recognize the brand?? Then there's 2 B/D 3/8" chuck drills, a MAsterCraft Jigsaw  model 105-110.  Then a really old Craftsman jigsaw model 31527941 with a bottom plate that's hinged.  I can't believe how small the power cord is.  Then we have a couple of drill attachment tools, a Cemco jigsaw attachment and a Cummins small balde power saw.  Anyone know anything about these, oothe than the fact that it takes a 1/4" min. drill to make them go.???  Then a SKil 490  dual action sander, A Shopmate 1870 Type 1, a
Shopmate 1/2" drill Model 520 Type 1, and a Sioux model 161 1/2 drill.  The only ones I couldn';t get to work were the Craftsman saw and the Sioux drill, but all the power cords on these tools are pretty marginal.  I made sure I was wearing gloves in case I got bit.  Not sure what I'll keep at this point.

DM&FS
Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
Re: $10 Box at the Auction.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:52:06 AM »
Congratulations Moose! Your status as a Vintage Power Tool Rest Home is now official. I only hope that you can uphold the industry standards.

We here at the Black & Decker Rest Home pride ourselves on the quality of care that we provide for our elderly patients. We constantly strive to improve blah...blahh...blah........
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Branson

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 01:14:58 PM »
>Looks like someone painted it silver after the tools was originally bought. Anyone recognize the brand??

Makes me think of a Speedway with the knob positioning and the size of the foot.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
I don't know who made yours, but I had a saw that looked nearly identical to yours (a bit younger I recon) with the Black and Decker name on it.

I am not sure if you can get it running, but the little Craftsman sabre saw was once one of the sweetest running saws of its kind. Exceptionally well balanced in the reciprocal motion, so it ran as smooth as silk.
  I had one for years and still miss it badly!! 
At one point my armature went bad, and I actually got a replacement still sitting on the shelf from Sears. I got more years but eventually the field coil died.

I love the small circular saw attachment!
 Basically useless as there is no hand drill that spins at the 5000rpm that an effective saw wants.
 But still soooo cool! I bet it would take a mirror polish!
 In fact, nearly all the tools will take a high polish

I would probably strip down the 2, 3/8" drills for parts, and throw them away.
 I know those drills.
They are single speed, non reversable, cheapest drills ever made.   2 amps, 1000 rpm

The chucks can be used, and the motor brushes fitted to other tools.
 The bearings can even be reused as they are a standard size.

But as a working drill, they suck.
 Not enough speed for sanding or grinding and not enough power for drilling metal over 1/4" or driving screws.
 Too slow for clean drilling in wood.

Maybe some kind of buffing operation they could work for?   
     yours Scott

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
Right on Scott.  Some of this stuff HAS to go to Goodwill or the scap yard, but when the aucitoneer says "One MOney", you takes the whole box!!!!

DM&FS
Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline rusty

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:38:05 PM »
> Maybe some kind of buffing operation they could work for?   

Not even good for that.  We buff glass from time to time using a drill with a small pad and a wet abrasive, you need variable speed, or the stuff splatters all over the walls when you start the drill...

Sorta too bad, it's hard on drills due to the side stress on the chuck, so the drills don't last long, and there are cheap low speed drills around, but not variable speed ones....

So we buy somewhat_cheap plastic drills...P
(The compound also doesn't do the brushes any favors, so it is a sorta disposable application, unfortunatly)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline ron darner

• RIP 4-18-1941- 9-30-2014
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:51:15 PM »
Nice collection for good price, Sir!  I can tell you that the Cummins was available around 1952-1953, though I don't know how much on either side of that date.  I have a magazine ad showing the saw.
The Cemco is a completely new one to me - and if you choose to sell, let me know.
Arrogance and Ignorance have more in common than their last four letters!

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »
I have been using one of those cheap B&D quarter inchers for many years now. It has a counter sink tool in it.  Works fine.  My wife uses one to rewind thread on spools for her embroidery machine.  I use another big box cheapy for a 2" fine wire wheel. I use it on things that are too delicate for the big wire wheel. They are waay too slow to be good drill guns.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan