Author Topic: Looking for information on B&S wrench  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Hm Wrench

• Vintage tool kit Source for Motorcycle tool kit ID
Looking for information on B&S wrench
« on: May 30, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »
I am looking for a number 500 B&S wrench and I am trying to confirm the time frame for this wrench and the logo.  The first photo is from a parts book and the second is from eBay a B&S wrench, but not a #500.
The time frame should be 1909-1911.   Unfortunately alloy artifacts has very little information on the B&S Logo in the second photo.

Always Looking for Motorcycle, Bicycle tools and related information.

Offline rusty

Re: Looking for information on B&S wrench
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »

Good luck guy...the 500 number is either an error in the publication, or a botched numbering attempt by billings, the 1944 catalog lists #500 as a carbon steel set screw wrench (single ended) 3/16 size.

Could the 500 number be someone elses part # for the wrench?

That logo is rare , B&S overlaps Brown&Sharp, and I think there were issues, Billings stuff with even the plain B&S isn't common...(There are examples on AA, listed as a different wrench series...and not much else...)

Even as a C series wrench the 500 wouldn't match tho, as the C series seems to match more or less with the industry standard (early) numbers...

I think you hav a project - P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Hm Wrench

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »
Thanks Rusty it looks like a may be looking for a long time.  Will have to find some other information to confirm or deny the parts book.

Thanks,
Kirk

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 07:07:09 PM »
I am looking for a number 500 B&S wrench and I am trying to confirm the time frame for this wrench and the logo.  The first photo is from a parts book and the second is from eBay a B&S wrench, but not a #500.
The time frame should be 1909-1911.   Unfortunately alloy artifacts has very little information on the B&S Logo in the second photo.

I was always under the impression that old B&S wrenches were stamped on the face, so off I went to AA. The second wrench you pictured seems to be a carbon steel "C" series from the 20's up, definetly not 1909 - 11. The #500 in the catalog might be the catalog #, not the # stamped on the wrench. BTW what catalog did you get the picture from?

Offline Hm Wrench

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
It is from an old motorcycle catalog, I did some more research and I missed the second line on alloy artifacts.

"We'll refer to this as the "Standard Early Face Marking" in the text. (A variant of this marking shortened the company name to the initials "B. & S." so it could fit on small wrenches." alloy artifacts

I also found this wrench on eBay for a #5oo wrench for a Whitman and Barnes #599 wrench as 3/8 and 1/2 .  I do not know if this would match the size on the B&S wrench.  But alloy artifacts has little info on Billings before the 1100 series wrenches. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-W-B-500-Open-End-Combo-Wrench-3-8-1-2-/220776620051

So I am still on the hunt for early info on Billings and Spencer Circa 1907-1909

Thanks,
Kirk