Author Topic: The Vermont & Massachusetts railroad (V & M) wrench  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
The Vermont & Massachusetts railroad (V & M) wrench
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
The National Railroad Historical Society got back to me on the identification of my Walworth WH monkey wrench stamped with a V & M logo.  I had asked them if this was a wrench used by the Vermont & Massachusetts  railroad.  They hedged a bit.  Here is their answer:

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM, <research@nrhs.com> wrote:

Bob,

As nearly as we can determine, the Vermont & Massachusetts began operations in 1849 and by agreement was operated by the Fitchburg Railroad until it became part of the Fitchburg in 1873, according to William D. Edson's all-time list of railroad names, normally a reliable authority.  However, the Travelers' Official Railway Guide of June, 1868, shows the V&M as an independent railroad, with no officers in common with the Fitchburg, and the two railroads appear on separate pages, although through services were provided to and from Boston, with the Boston times shown in the V&M tables.  The difficulty is that the initials V&M on a tool would be less likely if all operations were being performed by the Fitchburg.  All I can say is that if from other evidence the wrench dates from that time period it certainly appears possible that the wrench could have come from the V&M.  I can't find any logo for the railroad, but railroads did not begin using logos much until after that period.