Author Topic: 1959 Craftsman Catalog  (Read 3633 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: 1959 Craftsman Catalog
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 11:48:35 PM »
Mine that is in need

"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:53 PM »
OK. Now we know it is wood,If you can give me the dimensions from the top of the nut to the top of the portion in the base that it threads into(with the threads barely engaged top and bottom and then with them scewed down or fully engaged) that will give me the parameters to work with and I'll see what I have.I have mostly Stanley Planes but I do have a few cman so I can check the front knob diameter from what I have. To the best of my knowledge Crafstman did not manufacture their planes, they were farmed out to the people that did, ie, Stanley,Sargent and probably some others,so with any luck at all I probably have something that will fit.It may not be the perfect replacement but it should work. It all boils down to how original you want it to look. Check it out and let me know. Jim

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 11:12:30 PM »
Hi Jim,

There were two lock washers still in place as if the handle was rotted or broken off without removing the bolt.  I captured 3 measurements:

It is 49 MM clearance with bolt screwed down measuring to INCLUDE lock washers (lock washer to lock washer)
It is 53 MM clearance with bolt screwed down measuring to EXCLUDE lock washers  (base to cap)
It is 55 MM clearance with 1 thread started on the bolt that runs through (EXCLUDING lock washers)

Note - there is some clearance to be had on both ends of the bolt that runs through the knob.  I estimate 2 MM play at the top nut, and 2 MM play where the bolt threads into the plane (total 4MM play). 
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717