Author Topic: A few old anvils (picture heavy)  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Mac53

A few old anvils (picture heavy)
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:27:48 AM »
As requested by Brian, a few shots of my Hay Budden

I couldn't get a good shot of the name with the lighting- it is actually much more clear than it looks.

Thought I'd throw a few more interesting anvils in here while I was at it.
This is an old Mouse Hole with some odd markings. Weighs in a little over 160lbs. Exact markings and stamped weight are impossible to read, as part of it appears to be slightly melted? (dangerous profession!)

Smaller Mouse Hole- Very difficult to read, but you can if you break out some chalk. Not sure of the weight, but by that 0 out front I know its under (87?) lbs.

No clue what this is, but it has a hell of a life... Even a mother couldn't love the face of this anvil. It has a very square horn that rounds a bit towards the tip, and weird lugs coming off the feet on one side. It looks like there could have been more to them at some point in its life. They're part of the anvil, not add-ons.

I found this at some flea market I think.... More neat than useful.

If anyone has any info they care to share on any of them...I'd love to hear it.
-Marcus-

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: A few old anvils (picture heavy)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »
Are those all yours?   That abused one,wow, that  is about as beat up as I've seen.  Your Hay Budden looks great, good weight, but not put to use for awhile? The mouse hole would be fine to keep around for a spare.  The I beam wonder, well I'm sure the guy that built it had a purpose for it.  Thanks for posting.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Mac53

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
They sure are! I have more than my fair share of forges too. There are more anvils in places- but these are the interesting ones.
Yes, I love the Hay Budden, but it has been sitting. A good deal of my shop has been turned into "temporary" storage for some furniture and other crap.... I'm in the process of rearranging my shop so I can actually get to my equipment- (not to mention make room for the 25lb [transitional] Little Giant I purchased from a metal shop!)..I think the furniture may find itself outside in the rain soon.
-Marcus-

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
Nice Hay Budden,what is it's weight? All the HBs I've seen seemed to have servived well (a combination quality and good owners?). Your's looks like an early one with a steel top, can you read the serial No on the front foot?
The rough one looks like it is cast iron, even then I can't imagine how you could inflict that sort of damage accidentally!
Graeme

Offline Mac53

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 04:46:01 PM »
It weighs 200lb. Probably the quality, owners, and just the sheer numbers of them compared to other American brands? They truely are excellent quality though.
According to AIA, it has all the signs of being a pre-1908 anvil. I'm not positive on the serial number, but it appears to be 15 567, which would make it an 1894 (pretty early for a Hay-Budden I guess!).

The horn looks like a Vulcan\A&H to me, but the base is all wrong.. The damage really is odd though- no cracks or anything.
-Marcus-

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »
My 220lb HB has a SNo in the 20,000? (had it 20yrs!) they certainly are great anvils. There is no indication that the roughie ever had a steel plate and what I can see from AIA all the cast steel faced anvils had an raised brand, no sign of it on that one?  the damage is certainly puzzleing, hope it was a freebe!?
Graeme

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »
Nice....
If all else fails use a bigger hammer…

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »

Nice :)

Could the odd feet be for tying it down in a ship?

I think you have come up with a new definition for hot...

"How hot was it today?"
"Hot enough to melt an anvil..."
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Mac53

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »
Graeme- Nice, so that makes it 1895-96? I take it you have a steel top as well? Would love to see a picture of it.  No, there is no indication of it being marked at all... I'll need to go take another look at it, but it doesn't appear to have a face plate at all either.

Thank you Brian

Rusty- The thought crossed my mind, but I dismissed it because they were only on 1 side, I can imagine that doing well on a ship. If i recall correctly, ship anvils generally had holes through them to tie them down with chain.
I like it! I think I'll start using that.
-Marcus-

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »
Here are my anvils, the one on the right is a 200lb 1928 Fisher Norris and the other is a 145lb on known maker...
If all else fails use a bigger hammer…

Offline Mac53

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »
Very nice! I'd love to own a Fisher.... It is pretty high on my list of anvils to acquire...Yours looks to be in nice shape! So does that mystery anvil. 
-Marcus-