Author Topic: Time has finally come  (Read 4000 times)

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
Time has finally come
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:44:16 AM »
My wood working days are done. A simple job of routing grooves in a board is impossible. my hands shake so much that I can't even hold a board against a fence long enough to cut an 18 in cut
Looks like either hire or forget and watch tv and eat chips I can still hold a chip without breaking it    lol  bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline wrenchguy

• I like odd old stuff, especially mechanical.
    • Wrenchguys videos
Re: Time has finally come
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:56:59 AM »
are u from green mountains area?  I have a good friend in greenville south of albany. good luck.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 02:02:04 PM »
Sorry to here

A crazy idea but here goes nothing

If you ever have small stuff that needs to be cut with a a scrollsaw or something just send me a drawing. I have no problem doin a few small cuts for whatever it is if you shall need it. And I can ship it in a flat rate box or something to you.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline BruceS

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:23:56 PM »
My wood working days are done. A simple job of routing grooves in a board is impossible. my hands shake so much that I can't even hold a board against a fence long enough to cut an 18 in cut
Looks like either hire or forget and watch tv and eat chips I can still hold a chip without breaking it    lol  bob w.

I would say your ww days are  NOT over !   Look and see,  your still typing !    Experience and teaching woodworking is a good thing !!!! And not as dusty ;-)

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:14:26 AM »
Most of my woodworking tools have been shipped to my grandson and I have been showing him how to use them. I kept enough tools to do maintenance and small projects.my shaking limits the fine stuff and a lot of sanding covers some of the mistakes. but I am not pleased with my work now.
I started to build two shadow boxes to display some tools and found out that what used to be easy is now tough.  bob w.

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 12:00:27 PM »
Most of my woodworking tools have been shipped to my grandson and I have been showing him how to use them. I kept enough tools to do maintenance and small projects.my shaking limits the fine stuff and a lot of sanding covers some of the mistakes. but I am not pleased with my work now.
I started to build two shadow boxes to display some tools and found out that what used to be easy is now tough.  bob w.

Bob, I'm glad you have a grandson to receive the tools you've taught him to use.  That's a very good thing.  On the other hand, I myself would hate to give up working with wood.  For your example, a pair of "board buddies" (I hate the name!) would cure the problem of routing grooves, and not a few other kinds of cuts or functions.  They'll do the job of holding where you want in place while the cut is being made.

There's a whole world of "accommodations" out there as we've tried to get people to work despite apparent problems.  People like my cousin are born with cerebral palsy deal with things like this all their lives (my cousin graduated from MIT, Summa cum Laude).  My wife, a nurse, is going to see what she might be able to find.

I don't know what your precise position is at the moment -- doctors, healthcare and the like -- but there are medications for tremors, too.  Maybe you know them all, and maybe you've tried them (cogentin is one I'm familiar with.  "Benztropine mesylate is used to treat the symptoms of Parkinson's disease and tremors caused by other medical problems or drugs." )

My wife and I will see what more we can find.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
I had  a couple of heart attacks and resulted in nerve damage . I consider my self lucky that I can now walk on a smooth surface for a few yards . but if there is change in routine the nerves can not recover quick enough. if i hold pressure one way and i have to change it takes a while and by that time the cut has been ruined. plus i can not stand unsupported for any length of time.
bob w.

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »
That has got to be a bitter pill to swallow. Perhaps it is time to switch from doing to teaching. I am sure there are others besides your grandson who would be grateful to learn from your experiences. If you were closer I would be one of them. Some of my best memories and skills come from the sharings of the retired.

Offline stillfishin

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
Bob, when I scan the postings, I always click on those you started. You have an unbeatable sense of humor and certainly know your way around tools. Sometimes just sitting and talking about them beats using them. And each and every one of the members on here gets a lot of help from you just by listening to what you have to say. That means a lot. thanks....