Author Topic: Books  (Read 2155 times)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
Books
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »
It is my turn to do the giveway and I was going to offer these books until I looked on-line and one of them ( cant remember which one ) was being offered in several different sites for some serious change.

Anyone recognize either of these, why so much, just hype maybe. Neither book has ever been read.

Might be it will be still a future giveway but might be I should hang onto them also, have not decided. Thanks for any info
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »

You might want to read them first ;P

The Modern Blacksmith seems to be on everyone's must have reference list for bladesmithing, and has been out of print since the 70's (Tho it is combined with 2 other books in a somewhat later reprint "The Complete Modern Blacksmith"

(The fact that Weygers was an artist probably doesn't hurt the value either ;P)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 06:47:09 PM »
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:29:09 AM by 1930 »
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:00:36 PM »
Makes lots of sense, Bob. I am getting the same way myself, getting into projects that I may never finish, like wanting to scan and digitize years of photographs going back to at least 1965, along with many from the family from long before that. I'll have to quit my job to have enough time just to get ready for that project!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:05:05 PM »

Hmm,yeah, My reply came across a bit crass, wasn't quite how i meant that. I won'r try to elaborate, I genmerally just dig the hole deeper when I do that -P

I hear ya about picking the battles tho....

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:27:07 AM »

Hmm,yeah, My reply came across a bit crass, wasn't quite how i meant that. I won'r try to elaborate, I genmerally just dig the hole deeper when I do that -P

I hear ya about picking the battles tho....

I appreciate your response, it allowed me to see my post from a different view and I did not like how I was coming across as it did not reflect my true feelings toward the book or the information contained with it

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:30:11 AM by 1930 »

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:02:20 AM »
There's useful information in Modern Blacksmith, but the books I won't do without are The Edge of the Anvil and Aldren Watson's The Village Blacksmith.  Bealer's book, The Art of Blacksmithing, is good, too, but not as good as the first two -- at least for my tastes.

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »
Books might be the only thing more important to me than tools & I'd be happy to look through both of those!

Kijiji King

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
I have the reprint that combines the two. Both are well worth having. If I could have found the originals, I would have bought those, but when I got mine they were either non-existent for sale or way too much money. After several months, I just got the new reprint.

if I didn't already have the reprint/combo book, I'd make you an offer on those!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline fflintstone

• Former master curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »
I would like to read either of them, but I am not having much luck geting older books thru interlibrary loan now that I live in the sticks.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »
If anyone is interested in the two books and would like to trade there is a book on Amazon I want that is 60 dollars. I would trade these two books for that one. These book are in new condition, I dont believe they have ever been opened, there is not a mark to be found on either.
I say this because they are listed very expensivelly on Amazon in new condition which again is what these are.
If you feel in any way I have mislead than I will refund your 60 dollars as soon as you return my books in the condition I sent them. Thanks

My e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com