Author Topic: New project  (Read 9698 times)

Offline Mac53

New project
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:42:50 PM »
Well, I may have some questions about this in the future, but more than anything I just had to show it off!

My new little giant !

-Marcus-

Offline rusty

Re: New project
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:03:26 PM »

Looks like you will be doing a touch of welding, but what a nice small footprint machine.
That would even fit nicely in my shop between the partswasher and the sandblast cabinet ;P

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:47:03 PM »
WOW!!! You will be busy.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »
That's nice!  I don't envy your moving it around.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Mac53

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:01:35 PM »
Rusty- Yea, luckily the frame is all in good shape. My guess is that it fell over at some point? and cracked the ram guide and sow block. A new trans. style sow block is going to run like $500 I think, so I'm going to see how good a job was done repairing that and use it if I can. As far as the guide, I'm planning to send it off to Sid Suedmeier and have him remove \ reweld it. I'm not confident enough in my welds to be in front of my face on a machine like this. I'm very excited about it, will look great once I finish it and stick it in my shop.

Papaw- I sure will. I'm like a dog with a bone about restorations though, so I don't expect it to take too long.

Rascal- Tell me about it! You can see the wheels of my New Holland in the background...Even with the forks on it, it took a while to figure out how to stand it up (was palletized on its side).
-Marcus-

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 11:29:28 PM »
It looks fantastic to me!
 I don't know these machines anywhere near well enough to know what parts are damaged.
But I hope the repairs turn out to be less painful than 500 dollars.

Big tease, hiding the tractor like that!! heeheheh
  yours Scott

Offline lazyassforge

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »
Mac53,

Good machine to start with! Too bad about the ram guide. Have you talked to Sid about the guide yet? The transition style are kinda rare!

I bought one with a band shrunk around the sow block one time and when I cut it off to look at the damage, there was nothing wrong! I guess whoever had it before had broken one sow block and decided to band the new one to keep it from breaking??

Good luck to you on the rebuild!

Bill D.

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »
Just love that old cast iron!   

Offline Mac53

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
Here you go Scott- with one of my favorite attachments.
I'm pretty positive it is going to cost more than $500 to fix up, but I'll still be wayyy below what these are selling for, so all is good!
Unfortunately, I'll have to redo the babbitts ... They're a mess.....the crank shaft is pitted too...

Yes, I spoke to him before I decided to buy it. He said he could repair it and price range sounded reasonable. I think this sow block had broken at somepoint just because of how much is welded onto it. I don't think I could cut the stuff off even if i wanted to. My biggest problem at the moment is I now have everything off the hammer except the block...They used really bad keys, and it is just totally stuck. Any suggestions? I plan to give Sid a call tomorrow and see what he has to say about it.
-Marcus-

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 07:09:48 PM »
Spray it down with Kroil penetrant, am sold on the stuff.   I think you did real good, damage not withstanding.  To move it around I rock mine up on inch and a half steel pipe, a row of them, no problem pushing it around.   I lifted mine off the ground with chain hoist to my A frame, didn't even grunt, the 25lb only weigh 700 or so.  Rebabbiting isn't not a real big deal and sure improves things.  Set it on a double layer of plank or something so it doesn't break up your shop floor.   

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 08:37:29 PM »
Mean looking skid steer, what is the attachment for?

Offline Mac53

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
JohnK, any advice on getting the sow block off? The pipe is a great idea and will definitely come in handy when I try to put it in my shop. I don't have a chain hoist, not am I set up for one, but I think I can make it work with a bit of man power. 
My babbits have bubble holes and cracks and (hammer????) marks all over, so I'll definitely have to get rid of them. Will the babbitt metal ruin my graphite crucible, or could I get away with using a metal cup?  Also, I was planning to bolt it to my floor (I know, probably not as important on a 25lb, but I'd feel better, this one obviously has a history of falling over as it is), so wood would be difficult. Do you think some thick rubber would work? I think I have around a foot of concrete for the floor.

Lewill. It is a rock grapple. You can sift through the dirt and pull out all of the big rocks and crap---- and you can grab things!
-Marcus-

Offline lazyassforge

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 06:01:35 AM »
Mac53, If the big end of the key is where you can get to it, I weld a 1" bolt to the end of the key and slip a short piece of pipe that is bigger than the key over ther bolt with about two inches of the bolt sticking out. I weld a "tab" on the end of the pipe next to the frame so the pipe will touch the frame on both sides. Grease the threads and put some washers on the bolt. Tighten the bolt as much as you can. Then heat the frame up with a weed burner and use a drift as close to the size of the small end of the key as possible to help drive the key. Sometimes it takes a few heat cycles to get the key to move!

Hope this makes sense!

Bill D.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 09:14:17 PM »
I have only poured babbit with a metal crucible, can't say about graphite, anyway lead melts so much lower than near anything else, like brass.   The idea on the bolt to put steady pressure on the sow block sounds good to me.  Seen the same thing used on old tractor wheels which are rusted to the axle.  Several applications of heat can get the metal moving too, to get things un-stuck.  The heating and cooling alone can work wonders.  I saw one smith had his 50lb Little Giant on a bolted plank pad, on top of 4 inch rubber blocks he got from some factory, kept the vibration down.   A foot of concrete is good but still need a buffer in there for the shock.   On the bigger hammers they recommended upwards of four feet of concrete under them.  I put in a pic of my 25lb. hammer, if you note the steel strap around the lower sow block.  Technically my frame is broken, from who knows what kind of torture it went thru.  But I figure for the light smithing and bladesmithing I will do,  the repair that has already stood up, it will be good.  I found from the previous owner, his father bought it at auction in 1951, it sat in their shop unused for over 55 years.  I was looking all over, and discovered this one just 4 miles down the road from me. 

Offline Mac53

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 12:53:56 AM »
Small update:
The machine is 100% broken down. I'm now working on getting all of the grease off. All I have found to work so far is a combination of a pressure washer, engine cleaner, and a small putty knife- any other suggestions?
I managed to get the sow block out with the use of a garden torch as you suggested bill- Had to really heat it up to get any progress. I determined that the sow block is trash (will have to get a new one from Sid @ LG), so I simply alternated heating and firmly tapping the sow with a sledge hammer... Crude, but it worked. The center of the sowblock is made from 5 steel pipes and a massive amount of fill weld that was cut...kind of... to shape. The thing is awful. I decided to skip the bolt process simply because the key was really just a metal bar wedged in their and out the other side.

After a phone call to Sid, I determined that the babbitts are actually fine, and I'll leave them as they are.

How would you recommend building a pad so that I can still bolt it down?
Great find on your hammer! Could you post a larger photo of it?
-Marcus-