Author Topic: New project  (Read 9640 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: New project
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 04:59:53 AM »
I know there is an easier way to put up big pics,
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 05:03:41 AM »
The plank "pallet", that spreads the load, makes for a large foot print

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 05:10:29 AM »
The straps holding the cracked piece in place.  The crack is behind the wide strap.  It is wise to fasten it down, as they can start jumping around when used hard.

Offline lazyassforge

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 05:59:25 AM »
Mac53,

On my hammers I just use two pieces of old ruberized flat belting under the hammer, one on each side with a gap between them to clear the casting seam on the bottom of the hammer.(the bottom is not flat) Two of my hammers I have bolted to the floor and the other two are just glued to the floor with calking. They are all stable this way.

My floor is only about 5" thick, no cracks after 15 years, but I probably am giving up some efficiency from not having more mass under the hammer.

On pouring the babbit, I have used a piece of pipe with a bottom welded on and also a steel ladle.

I started a thread on a rebuild of a 25 lb. hammer:

http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=362.0

I need to get out and finish the motor mount and move this hammer out to the shop! (too many other projects!)

Hope this helps, Bill D.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »
Cool skidsteer! Its a cutie! I love that rock basket too. 
Quite a feat, operating a skidsteer well.  Innocent as they look, there is no wilder ride in a tractor.
 Took me 10 times longer to get even decent at it (and I never was the best),
  than a big loader or crane or anything else I ever drove.   

You can melt babbit in a soupcan if you want. And on a camp stove for heat.  Its practically lead.
  I have melted pewter in a small size tomato sauce can many times.  I hammered a spout onto one lip and made a handle from heavy copper wire and 2 sticks. Like tongs. :)
 I use an ordinary pouring ladle now though.

Rubber you can get in convenient 8" wide strips alongside any busy highway where the trucks roll.
If you want it thicker, try a marina. Boat fenders lining the dock are about 3" thick. Sometimes truck docks use the same stuff.
   yours Scott

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 10:19:35 PM »
Bill, sealing your hammer to the floor with caulking, well I never argue with success, if it works do it.  If your hammer is not "in your shop"  then where are you working on it?

Offline lazyassforge

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 06:03:34 AM »
John,

The caulking idea came from having to move a hammer every year to take it to the conference. The one with the bolts had to be lifted up(with pry bars and shims) to clear the bolts in the floor and get it on rollers. So, I just "glued" the other one down to keep it from walking around while in use and it worked!(I just use prybars to tip it enough to break the "glue") Now I havent taken it to the conference for a couple years!

A better wording would have been "move this hammer out to the BLACKSMITH shop". Right now it is in the main shop.

Bill D.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 06:57:15 AM »
If you have a material handling company in the area that does conveyor system maintenance you could look for a piece of old conveyor belting and use that for a mat to sit it on. You can get that in all kinds of widths upto and maybe even wider then 4 feet. If you had to you could layer it to get the thickness desired.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 07:02:11 AM »
I might also suggest gasket material in bulk (sheets).  You can buy some thick stuff in a variety of materials - I like teflon sheets for padding myself.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Mac53

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 11:29:12 AM »
Small Update-
Degreasing

Mostly clean

Full coat of primer

-Marcus-

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 12:09:10 PM »
wow, that is some fast work on the clean up.  Going  with the little giant green?  What happened to the cast name plate?   Looks all muddy?  How is it a civil defense siren is sitting in your driveway?   

Offline lazyassforge

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »
wow, that is some fast work on the clean up.  Going  with the little giant green?  What happened to the cast name plate?   Looks all muddy?  How is it a civil defense siren is sitting in your driveway?   

I have the same questions!

Looking Good!

Bill Davis

Offline Mac53

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 01:24:59 PM »
Thanks guys!

I'm a little obsessive it seems when it comes to projects! I only go as slow as I must to make sure I get everything right. I ended up scrapping a lot off by hand, pressure washing, slopping degreaser all over it, pressure washing it off, engine cleaner, pressure washer...and then wire brushed (hand and on a drill) the whole thing to make sure I didn't miss any spots. Lots of work! It isn't going so well on the small pieces unfortunately... Those are going to really slow me down.

I'm not sure what color... Green would make sense, but I feel like it would be a little boring... I'm thinking perhaps a Cobalt blue with copper highlights, like the screen on the cage I plan to built around the spring.... maybe try my hand at pin stripping it just for fun. Any suggestions on color schemes? I'm still 100% open on what to paint it.

I have no idea why....but someone thought it was a good idea to grind down the name plate... It is ground down to match the casting spot on the other side, as if some sort of clamp slid on it for something.... Luckily, the bottom half of the SNs are visible, so I can still read that much of it.

Warning sirens are another hobby of mine. That is a single phase 1982 Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt (1000B). It has a 2hp siren motor, a motor to rotate the projector, and a 10hp motor to turbo-charge the whole thing. Supposed to be around 130dB at 100 feet.
I have a few others too- 1920s Federal Electric Company Type B (3hp), 1940s Sterling M-5 (double headed, 5hp), 19(40-50s?) Federal C3 1/2 (7hp), and a few others..... You know, just in case.
-Marcus-

Offline lazyassforge

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 01:28:14 PM »

Warning sirens are another hobby of mine. That is a single phase 1982 Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt (1000B). It has a 2hp siren motor, a motor to rotate the projector, and a 10hp motor to turbo-charge the whole thing. Supposed to be around 130dB at 100 feet.
I have a few others too- 1920s Federal Electric Company Type B (3hp), 1940s Sterling M-5 (double headed, 5hp), 19(40-50s?) Federal C3 1/2 (7hp), and a few others..... You know, just in case.
[/quote]

I bet the neighbors LOVE you!

BD

Offline Mac53

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
Most of them! Just one particular one gives me a hard time.... The rest just think I'm crazy. Have I mentioned the army trucks? lol!
-Marcus-