Author Topic: Stanley Vise-Anyone able to give a vintage on this?  (Read 11160 times)

Offline keykeeper

Stanley Vise-Anyone able to give a vintage on this?
« on: June 04, 2011, 07:14:38 PM »
Another tool I've been hiding back for a while. This little beauty is pretty substantial, compared to most of the clamp on vises I have seen, it weighs over 10 lbs. easily. I haven't found any marks other than the Stanley name on it. The clamp hold-down pad on the screw still has "teeth" on it to bite whatever it is clamped to. The jaws show most of the original cross-hatch pattern from the factory.

I love the little anvil/horn on the back end of it!

Only problem with it is someone bent the adjuster screw handle...I'll fix that in due time!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
Re: Stanley Vise-Anyone able to give a vintage on this?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:57:28 PM »
That is a nice one...
If all else fails use a bigger hammer…
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »
Looking in my '44 Chandler catalog, Stanley had a 760 series that is somewhat like it, including the odd little horn. But it's not the same design, based on the stripes and streamline design I'd put it more 50-s'60...[WAG]

Damn if it doesn't have several features that belong on a Parker vise tho....
The anvil, the vertical reinforcment on the back jaw, the bull nose, the lines.....hmm

Not that stanley would ever  'improve' someone elses design or anything...

Edit: It is in the 1958 catalog, assuming it has 3" Jaws, steel, is #766 (cost $13.90 )
(Iron jaws #746)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:53:06 PM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »
Another darling score!
  Its got the features of a much larger vise! I love the covered screw. Most vises in this size range only have open screws.
I expect a clockmaker would be thrilled beyond belief with this vise.

I had an elegantly made small vise for a while. I was using it to build toy cars with, in my spare bedroom.
  But I wasn't building many slot cars anymore and a clockmaker, who I owed a favor to, needed it in the worst way, so..............
  yours Scott

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 02:04:26 PM »
 Seems Stanley went to Red & Gray in 1950 and to dark Blue in 1964. This gives you a date window .
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »
I have the exact same vise in my shop, but not in use. It is a dandy.

Offline leg17

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 12:57:56 PM »
HELP!

I picked up a cute 2" version of this little rascal on the "127 world's longest yard sale" Saturday but the moving jaw does not retract.
The clip or snap ring is missing.

I tried a C-clip but it won't fit in the channel.  I also tried a standard snap ring but the spring partially slides over it.

Would someone who has one of these please flip it over and see what kind of clip is on the screw that pulls the moving jaw back when loosening the moving jaw?

Thanks all
Tom

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 03:32:04 PM »
Probably an snap ring, similar the ones pictured on this page. http://www.imperialsupplies.com/grp013.shtml

I will check mine for you.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline Branson

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
The jaws show most of the original cross-hatch pattern from the factory.

The cross hatch on the jaws make it one of the 761 series, which were removable.  The 741 differed in having smooth faces, not removable.

Catalog #34 specifies:

"Hardened thrust bearing under the screw head.  Spring thrust screw retainer gives slack-free jaw and screw control."

Oh,  and in #34, the 766 cost only $10.15.  I like that price better than the 1958 price.

Offline leg17

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
HELP!

I picked up a cute 2" version of this little rascal on the "127 world's longest yard sale" Saturday but the moving jaw does not retract.
The clip or snap ring is missing.

I tried a C-clip but it won't fit in the channel.  I also tried a standard snap ring but the spring partially slides over it.

Would someone who has one of these please flip it over and see what kind of clip is on the screw that pulls the moving jaw back when loosening the moving jaw?

Thanks all
Tom

I turned up a little collar for between a snap ring and the spring and it worked OK.
My 2.0" version is marked "763"

Got a few scores on the 127 yard sale including TWO complete blacksmith 4.0" post vises for $50 total.
(shhhhh.  Don't tell my wife.  That makes nine.)   :-X

Tom
Kentucky