Author Topic: Saturday Scores...mostly not tools  (Read 2573 times)

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
Saturday Scores...mostly not tools
« on: June 05, 2011, 06:07:21 AM »
Had a busy morning trying to get to the yard sales I wanted to and two auctions starting 90 minutes apart.  The first 7AM stop was the goldmine, but not for tools.  Turned out to be some folks we used to go to chuch with and they were down-sizing.  Unloading a JOhn Deere lawn mower for $10 and a Raleigh bicycle with all kinds of accessories  for another $10.  If you are into stereo equipment, they were giving away($50) a like-new pair of Klipsch KG 3.2 speakers and I couldn't let that pass either.  But I digress.

The next stop was a carpenter's house and he had $8 worth of wrenches including a really nice Crescent 10".  Then I hit a dry spell although one tool-heavy yard sale was over priced, he did have a nice Craftsman older set and a Bonney HVAC tool or two.   I liked the vice grip that was designed for pinching hoses too, but didn't buy anything.  Ended up going to the first auction to snif around and it was nothing but rusty crap and virtually nothing of value.  The second auction didn't have much either, but since I was down to my last $10, I waited until the "your choice" bids got down to $4 and grabbed a flat of hand tools and an older Craftsman Belt Sander.  When it got down to the $1 picks, I grabbed a box that had 3 of those $13 RainX wiper blades still NIB and another flat that had an old orange K Mart bench grinder in it.   Picked up the wife and we headed to a couple more sites, but only found some old retro scuba gear and a really pristine old competition wood slalom ski.

Photo has from left to righ:
1088 wrench, P-729, P-725-B, P-27, VLCHEK WBE-24, Crescent AT-110, Indestro Super 731, Ebonite Screwdriver(same Co. that does bowling balls???), an OTC SS-87, A Pritzlass(never heard of this one before,,,,anyone have a clue??) slot screwdriver with the wood handle, old Sears Phillips, Dayton 1A301, 11" pliers(man those are big!!), a P-S 300 S wrench,  2 non-names, a K&B 603, A really rusty thick stamped wrench, and a really weird curved tool (with dimples on the inside of the bend.....  An old oil filter wrench part maybe??)

The top left to right is a mini hacksaw with a short stainless steel blade, so maybe it was for food or something., a Bonney figure 8 tipped screwdriver(my first Bonney screwdriver find), and another no-name pr. of 9"pliers.

Now to get all this organized a bit better and then get back to real life.....

DM&FS

Busy
Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline rusty

Re: Saturday Scores...mostly not tools
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »

>Pritzlass(never heard of this one before,,,,anyone have a clue??) slot screwdriver

John Pritzlass Hardware Company,Milwaukee, nice find : )
[1850-1958]
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/dictionary/index.asp?action=view&term_id=1711&term_type_id=1&term_type_text=people&letter=P

http://milwaukeestreets.blogspot.com/2008/07/pritzlaff-hardware-building.html
  --

Ebonite is a kind of early plastic (plasticized rubber), it was used for its electrical insulating properties, including screwdriver handles for electricians. The mark probably just is so you know it's insulated...

It is also slightly rubbery, and very dense, just what you want for making synthetic bowling balls...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline chopper1

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 10:05:37 AM »
I like those 4 Drop Forge Select Steel wrenches on the left.  I've been slowly putting together a set of them.
Mike
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »
   Picked up the wife and we headed to a couple more sites, but only found some old retro scuba gear and a really pristine old competition wood slalom ski.

Just an FYI,  as I suspected, the ski was worth something.  I posted it to a waterski site and within hours I got an offer of $75+ shipping for it.  I'm not greedy, so I took it.  Maybe taking some of the profits and donating it to the PaPaw fund will keep the moderator and the rest of his personalities from coming down on me for posting non tool talk stuff in this forum.  As they used to say down south, "Money Talks and Bull Skit Walks"

DM&FS

Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice