Author Topic: shocking news  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Branson

shocking news
« on: April 02, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Old wrench interest is contagious!   Yesterday my wife somewhat reluctantly showed me something she bought at the dump on Friday.   She's very frugal and practical usually, but she found she just *had* to buy ... a wrench!   Can't say how slippery the slope is, but she now owns an old 9" adjustable auto wrench.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: shocking news
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:52:16 AM »
There goes your tool budget!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:29:07 PM »
Amazing!!  I have been assured, repeatedly,  that there NO chance of it being contagious.

Brian L.

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:46:53 PM »

I hope you like peanut butter and jelly,
because the grocery budget just went to heck...;P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 12:45:19 PM »
AH Hah! But, does she have it cleaned properly, cataloged, tagged and displayed?
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »
AH Hah! But, does she have it cleaned properly, cataloged, tagged and displayed?

Nah...  She oiled it up 'til it was smooth turning, and put it her tool chest.  Today we did have a problem.  Found a metal Makita cordless case -- '80s stuff -- and we both wanted it.  I won, but only because I have a Makita and charger that fits; hers wouldn't fit, I pointed out. <GRIN>

Offline Dakota Woodworker

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 08:34:08 PM »
Those metal power tool cases are worth fighting over. :)  I can't stand the plastic one everything comes in now. 
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »
Wow!!  She is becoming a cohort?? Outstanding!!
  Dream come true.
Of course, if she goes to doing it in a nightie,
      we will kill you where you stand!!  heeheheeheheh
  yours Scott

Offline Branson

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 08:09:37 AM »
Wow!!  She is becoming a cohort?? Outstanding!!
  Dream come true.
Of course, if she goes to doing it in a nightie,
      we will kill you where you stand!!  heeheheeheheh
  yours Scott

She has work boots and jeans for working, so my life is safe for the moment.  We do have our differences, though.  She rolled her eyes when I showed her the Stanley 151 I bought at the flea market yesterday -- "That's the third spoke shave you've bought this month..."  I explained that I didn't have a 151 and it did different things or did things differently, besides, I like back up tools, which was why the 54 I got last month gave me two of these...  Oops!  She has exactly one tool for each of her needs. 

But cohort? Yes, often.  Like Papaw and Stoney, I married an artist.  She's good at so many things it staggers me.  She came with a tool box.  She's also   done stone cutting and silver smithing. 

Now I have a dilemma.  The Makita box is a little newer and will definitely fit her charger.   Mind you, her Makita is boxed, but in one of the plastic numbers.  I put the kit together for her because she hates to borrow tools, even mine, even ones I bought for the household.   But maybe the drill won't fit.  She really prefers a metal box...

Yep.  She's a dream come true!

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:11:02 AM »
Sorry but you are going to need at least on more shave. 
 Iron shaves are a blast to use, but they take a little getting used to.
But a razor sharp wooden body save is outstandingly instinctive!
 Whenever I get newbies in my shop, first tool  I ever hand them is a spokeshave.  Usually the big mamoo, a coopers shave I restored and customized.
 But any of them really. I have made a number of them now, and a small collection of solid boxwood shaves too.

The totally effortless, chips flying, rapid wood removal, go right around the end grain if you want..way that they work??
        So light, so positive, so easy and fast..........(I have been known to peel wood from behind my back just for show)
 Well I tell you, if she had one in her hand for 5 minutes ??
OK its likely you would lose it on the spot,
 but you would never get any more trouble out of her over that particular subject.

PS you can fit a blade to a block of wood and make it work a treat in 10 minutes time.
Further shaping into something really attractive though...
  yours Scott
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:14:12 AM by scottg »

Offline Branson

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 07:08:40 PM »
Hand her one?  And have to fight for every other one I find?  Tariff sounds a little steep...

Don't think I don't have some lovely wooden shaves.  I do.  A nice big carpenter made fellow, a screw adjustable, and a 20 year old rosewood job that's adjustable with an Allen wrench.  Couple of others lying around somewhere, one with a broken handle that I've been too lazy to replace.

We've had a discussion about this before, and I guess the thing is that my first experience was working with an iron shave, and most of my subsequent experience as well.  It took me a little getting used to for using the wood body shaves.  You're right.  There is a definite difference in how they work and feel.

The interesting thing (to me) about the 151 is that it has thumb rests positioned for pushing the shave instead of pulling it.