Author Topic: Winchester #1607  (Read 2075 times)

lzenglish

Winchester #1607
« on: June 05, 2011, 06:57:09 PM »
I found my first winchester wrench this weekend (I know, whoopti doo!). Anywho, I tried to find some history on it, but google and A.A. were all dried up. It is a purdy looking little thing, except for the outside edge finishes on all sides of the open ends. It looks like a blind man took a grinder to them, Is this normal? They are smooth and semetrical, but look strange to me. Any info. or comments appreciated. PS. I could not resist a picture of it along side my model 1906 22cal.

Thanks,

Wayne

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Winchester #1607
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »
That IS rough work!
I have had arguments with Winchester collectors about whether Winchester actually made all the tools, etc. that came out with their name on them. Most of them insist that Winchester made everything themselves, but I can' prove or disprove that.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

lzenglish

Re: Winchester #1607
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:39:06 PM »
That IS rough work!
I have had arguments with Winchester collectors about whether Winchester actually made all the tools, etc. that came out with their name on them. Most of them insist that Winchester made everything themselves, but I can' prove or disprove that.

I found a great article in the wrenching news on "fake" winchester tools. After reading and looking it over, it does appear that this one I have, is an original factory wrench. But, like I say, I see NO reason for the edges to be gound in this manner. If it was one end, I would say someone made a "Special Application" tool, but not the case here. IMO

Wayne